flaxseed in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

flaxseed in HK?

I used to grate my own flaxseed in a coffee grinder every morning and mix it with my breakfast cereal when I was in Canada. But flaxseed seems unheard of here...? I've seen flaxseed oil and capsule in Fusion, but can't seem to find the seed itself. Do you know where I can get them?

Thanks,

I've seen them in 360 and Apita.

Thanks, will look for them in Apita.

Hm, no need to buy them from (often) pricier shops tho' they're on sale there, too.

I usuallly get Nature's Path Organic Flaxseed Meal (i.e. already ground) from "larger" PnS supermarkets. Check cereal/muesli shelves. Still, a bit expensive compared to UK stuff - but as expected. (BTW, one pound's weight and 2500mg Omega-3 per serving, apparently.)

Thanks emmie, but I understand pre-grounded flaxseed is more perishable than whole seed?

Oh I know I'm going to flinch when I look at the price tag of that stuff; they are a dime a dozen in Canada.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

A 680g bag of Bob's Red Mill Organic Golden Flaxseed is $49.

Yep, way shorter shelf life.

But it keeps OK in the fridge. And as I use up the pack - sprinkling seeds on me muesli every morn - within the advised "45 days", no probs.

Price? Circa HK$69-59... *ouch*

(Just reminded: Beg visiting folks to sneak in a supply next time.)

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

its best to mill it just prior to use or the inevitable loss of volatile oils as explained here

Cold-pressed flaxseed oil is an excellent source of dietary α-linolenic acid (ALA). However, breakdown of ALA in the oil, either in the seed before or during storage, or as a result of processing, may result in unacceptable flavors. Screw-pressed flaxseed oil from four seed lots and a commercial sample were analyzed for headspace volatiles (HV) by solid-phase microextraction; for nutty, painty, and bitter flavors; and for overall quality. HV and sensory analyses were performed after storage for 7 d at room temperature and again after 15 wk at 4°C. Marked, significant differences were observed between samples for painty and bitter flavors and overall quality, but only slight differences for nutty flavor (P<0.05). Samples remained stable between the two storage periods. HV traces showed distinct differences between samples in number of peaks and in peak heights. Areas under peaks corresponding to select retention times were positively correlated (P<0.01) with nutty, painty, and bitter flavors. Therefore, the HV analysis by solid-phase microextraction may be a useful tool for screening flaxseed lots to be used for the production of screw-pressed oil.

An often overlooked source of flaxseed is from pet shops [bird seed]

Last edited by kombuchakid; 16-04-2009 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    An often overlooked source of flaxseed is from pet shops [bird seed]
    Now, should I dander along to that lovely wee birdie place, off MK-Kowloon Tong, and request regular sackfuls of seeds to go with me muesli?

Er, thanks. Most excellent... KK.

*Tweet Tweet*

(BTW, U on Twitter, too?)

you can try Oliver's in prince's building. I bought a pack there, fairly cheap.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast