Like Tree33Likes

Looking for GENUINE 100% extra virgin olive oil

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

As extravangant as it sounds, we've started buying a bunch of food / spices etc online.

Do any of these Olive oils meet your requirements?

https://hk.iherb.com/c/Olive-Oil?rcode=RIR119

Order online, keep checking your shopping cart - you get free shipping via SF express once your order approaches $350 I think. Takes about 5-7 days at the most.

This reminds me I need to put an iherb order in! Yes, it's a very efficient and cost effective way to source certain items. (Bear in mind, 90% of what they sell falls into the snake oil category of supplements, imho, but that doesn't invalidate the sense of buying the other 10% of the stock!).

EDIT.... done.

You can use my code if you like for discounts https://hk.iherb.com?rcode=EJU232

Last edited by HK_Katherine; 25-07-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Do you guys use also the "normal" olive oil?
    A lot of talk about the extra virgin one but for me that is not an issue as I always bring back some "home made" from our own olive trees.
    But till now I always use Bertolli Olive oil for cooking.
    But not much info about the "normal" olive oil and what is in it.

As with most things on the internet, there is a kernel of truth, surrounded by a lot of bullshit. Personally I prefer to investigate and try and get to the truth rather than taking internet scaremongering at face value, especially from a site that claims olive oil will remove varicose veins. Presumably they mean only oil from their 'genuine' list.

Fake Olive Oil

The CEO of Colavita USA, had this to say about the 'fake' reports.

https://www.colavita.com/brand-missi...-from-our-ceo/

Obviously there is marketing spin there, but some of the facts are well established regarding the circulating 'fake' stories.

The recent fines for Deoleo, owner of the Bertolli, Sasso and Carapelli brands, was not for adulterating their oil with other oils, but for selling a small number of Virgin Olive oils from their range as Extra virgin olive oil. Some dispute remains on classification, but they are not selling non-olive-oil olive oil, nor was all their Extra Virgin Olive Oil not meeting the standards for the Extra label.. After this the fines were increased substantially for mislabeling of the various grades of olive oil in Italy, so chances of further substantial issues are reduced, coupled with extra surveillance.

I am fine with using Bertolli for everyday cooking, for salad dressings I use a stock of independent producer extra virgin oil I bought back from Italy.

shri, Drunken Master, Sith and 1 others like this.

Thanks Kim!

Nice one Kimbo !

Original Post Deleted
    No I didn't miss that one and knew that's where your question came from.
    But it looks like most tests are done on Extra virgin olive oil not the standard olive oil (I think it's just called virgin olive oil)
    I cook only with olive oil (don't even have any other oil in house)
    EVOO I use for things like frying an egg or some pasta sauces (and always throw it over the pasta that I just drained) and of course salads etc.
    The normal olive oil I use for everything else which is mostly frying.

I might have to do some more research on the standard olive oil. But prefer it above any other oil to be honest.
    Skyhook likes this.

Yeah I can imagine that in cakes it would be a too strong of a taste. I'm not into baking though.

Good to know I'm not alone in this.
    If I ever find something I'll post it here.

Use butter in cakes, certainly not canola oil. Theres no such thing as a "canola" seed, it is a man made product, from rapeseeds, it apparently was originally used to lubricate engines, then they processed it to take some toxic compounds out and enable it to be palatable to humans because it's cheap. It might taste mild but it can't be good to eat such a highly processed oil. Stick with the natural fats, olive oil, butter, lard etc

Skyhook and Morrison like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast