Like Tree36Likes

Tai po town or Ting Kok Road??

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Tai po town or Ting Kok Road??

So we landed here last week and I work in Tai po. We've got a temp place until the end of the month and saw our first few places (village houses) yesterday all on Ting Kok Rd. First one was too generic and nothing around, second one was GF but quite nice with grassy yard and garage door windows on living room but the third place blew us away with views of the mtns and sea from pretty much all windows, big rooftop, all new, and nice neighbours under us who told us there were no dogs and it was nice and quite in the evening. Internet apparently is serviced by HKBN or PCCW.

There are a few restos within walking distance, he said there is a beach planned in a few years, and maybe a small shop for supplies. The location works for me but my wife may end up working downtown. Just curious if anyone who lives out there finds it worth the commute? It's only 25mins to my work so it works for me but I wonder whether a future long commute for my wife will offset the natural beauty or if the partial isolation of the spot will become too much? Also worried about moving in and getting all our furniture up to the 3rd floor? How complicated is it?

We're going to look at another village home tomorrow, also new, within a short ride to tai po MTR, it also has rooftop and an OK view and similar commute for me.

Would love to hear folks' experiences on living out there to compare and contrast the locations!

FYI: agent said the one we like is $17k but prob get it for 16k, taipo town one is 15K

The commute from out near Tai Mei Tuk to Central would be brutal - 90 minutes door to door each way. I wouldn't do it. I have a friend who lives there, but she works at EduU (or whatever I.Ed is called these days) so it works well for her.

depending on the exact location along Ting Kok Rd, if you have not seen the place on a Sunday go visit

chuckster007 and emx like this.

It's near here:

https://www.google.com.hk/maps/place...4.227358?hl=en

Near all the restos and the beach area with all the boats, Lung Mei, I think

I love that area, it's beautiful and there is a government sports centre right there thats super cheap to play sailing, windsurfing and kayaking, if that's your thing. You have to really consider your lifestyle, do you want to go out every night, cook at home, are you loners or want to make friends, can you rely just on yourselves and be content?

I really think newbies to HK should live somewhere closer to Central to get a feel for HK, then after one year you can move away from the city. It gives you a chance to explore HK, get to know people, and then after you build some roots you can live further away. But right now you will highly isolate yourself if your first stop is Tai Po.

Will you have a car? I go to Tai Po now and then and always see western families with babies waiting at the bus stops, they don't look like a happy bunch. With a car not bad, but if you can avoid working on hk island then very feasible. Otherwise the tolls and commute will be brutal, both driving and MTR.

I think Tai Po is a great place to consider to live, but there are also other places to explore too. Some that may be closer to your workplace, closer to food, etc. HK has beautiful spots all around.

Cornmeal and hin23leung like this.

I'm an outdoor enthusiast so that aspect of TKR is very attractive even though the guy said there aren't actually any direct hiking trails from there? I'd love to pick up a kayak and swim in the ocean daily.

Wouldn't want to live near Central, we stayed in Mong Kok all last week and the tourists and noise far outweigh the ease of access to restaurants and shopping. Tai po has its own malls and Shatin's not so far off. We love to cook at home and host people, a good night out once in a while is enough for us so we can make the trek into town and spring for a pricey cab home when we feel the isolation getting to us.

In the end it's where my wife will end up working, it's possible she could find something in TP, but otherwise it's likely downtown somewhere....we just keep thinking that we may not have the opportunity to live in a brand new place with such spectacular views again.

Guess we'll see what this other places feels like tomorrow (that's if the nice view isn't already taken!). We're actually in a small old village house off tai po road now and are getting somewhat of a sense of the inconvenience of the location, but the views and lush mountainside are quite peaceful to come home to.

If you're in one of the village houses at the front then TIng Kok road isn't much fun.

All the weekend cyclists will be up and down the road heading to Tai Mei Tuk etc so it'll be noisy and crowded.

If you want a village house then go half way up Ting Kok road and definitely not the Tai Mei Tuk end.

Yes the commute to central will be a killer, minibus to the town and bus to central.
    Or get the MTR to mongkok east and transfer over to central.

Waiting for a minibus in the 35 degree heat isn't much fun.

JAherbert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    I'd love to pick up a kayak
    You may need a kayak to get anywhere, based on how much that village flooded just 2 weeks ago.
    JAherbert likes this.

Plenty of new flats with spectacular views, look at all of the new flats being built and first year there is too much supply so landlords cut prices drastically. Example a 3 bedroom flat in high rise with view could be for 20k when the normal rent will be 30k. Then you have to move the following year when the landlord raises the rent. But deals are always to be had. Always building.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    If you're in one of the village houses at the front then TIng Kok road isn't much fun.

All the weekend cyclists will be up and down the road heading to Tai Mei Tuk etc so it'll be noisy and crowded.

If you want a village house then go half way up Ting Kok road and definitely not the Tai Mei Tuk end.

Yes the commute to central will be a killer, minibus to the town and bus to central.
    Or get the MTR to mongkok east and transfer over to central.

Waiting for a minibus in the 35 degree heat isn't much fun.
    It's not directly on TKR just up one of the little lanes. I've already discovered waiting on minibuses isn't fun in this heat.
    MandM! likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast