Applying for British Citizenship for son, procedure?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Applying for British Citizenship for son, procedure?

Hi there,
    My sister is a British national (overseas) currently living in hong kong . She holds permanent Hong Kong id & British citizens with British passport. She is planning to apply for British citizenship for her son. Can she do the application from Hk or does she have to come to uk, work certain years and then apply?
    What is the proper procedure?
    Also how can I use your service in this matter please.

Regards,
    Nav

What age is the son?

He is around 14/15yrs old. Also my sister is British citizens (not British nationals overseas)
    my apologies

Check out:

https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen

It depends how your sister became a British citizen and where her son was born. It can get a bit fiddly so it's worth using the above tool to check on his likely status. If she was a British citizen either otherwise than by descent or her son was born in the UK whilst she was a British citizen, then her son is most likely already British. In those circumstances you do not need to register as he would have been automatically British from birth. Ultimately the way to be sure is to apply for a passport and submit the documentation that they'll ask for, which is often substantial (was in my case, and my circumstances are very straight forward).

My sister was born in Hong Kong to Nepalese parents. As Hong Kong was part of British empire, so they had this opinion we're they hold British citizenship (if applied during certain periods of time).
    her son was born in nepal and currently a honk Kong permanent ID card holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Nav1362:
    My sister was born in Hong Kong to Nepalese parents. As Hong Kong was part of British empire, so they had this opinion we're they hold British citizenship (if applied during certain periods of time).
    her son was born in nepal and currently a honk Kong permanent ID card holder.
    My Nepalese friend, she got the same situation, in order to get her daughter into UK, she actually moved to UK and now lives and works there so that she can bring her daughter over later.

It depends on what type of British Citizenship your sister has. If she is a British Citizen by descent then her son has no entitlement to Britsih citizenship himself (given that he was born outside the UK). If she is a British Citizen otherwise than by descent then her son can register as a British Citizen by descent.

My sister is a British citizen (not by descent). She is in Hong Kong.
    Can she register her son (15yrs old) as a British citizen by descent from Hong Kong ?
    or does she have to come to uk , live for certain years with certain annual salary and then apply the application ?

many thanks for all the information

Her son is already a Briitish Citizen as I understand it - s/he doesn't need to do anything further. She can simply apply for a British Passport for her son if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by dentarthurdent:
    It depends on what type of British Citizenship your sister has. If she is a British Citizen by descent then her son has no entitlement to Britsih citizenship himself (given that he was born outside the UK). If she is a British Citizen otherwise than by descent then her son can register as a British Citizen by descent.
    Sorry - the second part of this was wrong. See my post above.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast