Like Tree36Likes

Tai po town or Ting Kok Road??

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Where will you work more specifically? Along Ting Kok Road? Closer to town? I lived in Taipo for 6 years and initially wanted a village house but was swayed by the clubhouse facilities of a residential development (pool, gym etc). You can probably get a 700+ sq ft apartment with 3 beds for between 20-25k per month depending on the development and it won't have to be a high floor. Some of the nicer, more expat friendly ones include The paramount, paragon, grand palisades. All on the south side of Taipo but an easy walk (<10 mins) or residential bus service link to the TPM train station. From there you can catch trains into BD (<1hr) or buses to the north side along Ting Kok Rd towards Tai Mei Tuk.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    village house, top floor 700 sqft and 700 sqft roof costs about 15K up in Sai Kung, I'd expect Tai Po to be cheaper. if you are worried sign for one year contract effectively that's 13 months, and use that time to explore.
    Suppose it can't hurt to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by PointingFinger:
    Where will you work more specifically? Along Ting Kok Road? Closer to town? I lived in Taipo for 6 years and initially wanted a village house but was swayed by the clubhouse facilities of a residential development (pool, gym etc). You can probably get a 700+ sq ft apartment with 3 beds for between 20-25k per month depending on the development and it won't have to be a high floor. Some of the nicer, more expat friendly ones include The paramount, paragon, grand palisades. All on the south side of Taipo but an easy walk (<10 mins) or residential bus service link to the TPM train station. From there you can catch trains into BD (<1hr) or buses to the north side along Ting Kok Rd towards Tai Mei Tuk.
    I'll can get those things provided by company membership, should I want them, so definitely not worth extra 10K.

Lived in Asia a long time and 650sqft was good for us in last place but after moving back home I crave the private outdoor space for BBQs and such.

Well, we choose the kickass views of Lo Tsz Tin!

We've been looking all week and there just isn't much that met out criteria. We saw one last place today and although much cheaper (11.5) it was 3 tiny rooms, odd layout, view of other people's places, a shoebox bath and not private access to roof. Compared with stunning mtn and sea view, proper master, decent guest room, two rainforest showers, huge balcony, private roof top access (i.e. private staircase no need to exit apt) and a friendly neighbour below us who assured us there were no dogs about disturbing the peace.

So we'll give it a go for a year and see how we like it.

Now does anyone have any info on the area's restos? Any decent ones? How's the little supermarket that supplies the restos? Is the swimming decent right out front? Any other tips and tricks to living there?

Mat likes this.

Great restaurants out that way. And not that expensive. Is it near Tai Mei Tuk?

Let us know when you have a BBQ :-p

Cornmeal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Great restaurants out that way. And not that expensive. Is it near Tai Mei Tuk?

Let us know when you have a BBQ :-p

Right, now just a matter of furnishings, BBQ on the list!
    MandM! likes this.

Update:

After an intense measuring session, it's bloody hot in our apt, large windows= greenhouse extreme, we walked down and stopped at the first restaurant, the Bauhinia BBQ, and couldn't be happier that we chose this spot, great food there!

Now can anyone out there tell me where we can buy/get curtains/blinds installed for a decent price?

Also can any residents comment on the tap/drinking water there? Is it fit for consumption?

Cheers!

MandM! and Mat like this.

Boil the water at minimum.

Curtains in Sham Shui Po. Or if you like to sew give it a try. Much cheaper!!!

Cornmeal likes this.

Just to be clear, boiling water is good for bacterial contamination (provided that you boil it for a few minutes, not like in an automatic kettle). But boiling has no effect on contamination with lead and other heavy metals (in fact one could argue that it concentrates them to a small extent).

So rationally what you should do is drink a load of the raw water. If it doesn't give you the shits then it's fine. If it does then boil it. But there's no way of knowing if there is lead in it unless you get it chemically tested. However, the water delivered to your property is almost certainly up to international standards - the only place lead or other worrying contaminants could be introduced is in the building tank or plumbing (the irony of "plumbing" is clear to those with a classical education). The risk is much higher in a big development than in a village house where you can basically inspect the plumbing work.

So, in summary, I'd be quite happy to drink from the tap (and do, often).

Cornmeal and JAherbert like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dentarthurdent:
    Just to be clear, boiling water is good for bacterial contamination (provided that you boil it for a few minutes, not like in an automatic kettle). But boiling has no effect on contamination with lead and other heavy metals (in fact one could argue that it concentrates them to a small extent).

So rationally what you should do is drink a load of the raw water. If it doesn't give you the shits then it's fine. If it does then boil it. But there's no way of knowing if there is lead in it unless you get it chemically tested. However, the water delivered to your property is almost certainly up to international standards - the only place lead or other worrying contaminants could be introduced is in the building tank or plumbing (the irony of "plumbing" is clear to those with a classical education). The risk is much higher in a big development than in a village house where you can basically inspect the plumbing work.

So, in summary, I'd be quite happy to drink from the tap (and do, often).
    We've been drinking boiled water here in Tai po Mei the past week, supply is from the mtn. I thought lead pipes were only an issue in the old tenement housings downtown?

Yes, essentially.

So why do you boil the water (with all the environmental & financial cost that entails)?