Like Tree95Likes

Google and the diversity debate

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I may well fire someone for doing that. Although would probably talk to them first about how inappropriate it is!
    "Poor judgement" was an understatement. Naturally, that email was quickly disseminated through every office in the globe.

That was a long time ago though, and it a different place both culturally and geographically. Silicon Valley seems to be at the bleeding edge of political correctness, so I'm hardly surprised the Google guy was canned. They could have handled it so much better, even with the same outcome, though.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Silicon Valley seems to be at the bleeding edge of political correctness, so I'm hardly surprised the Google guy was canned. They could have handled it so much better, even with the same outcome, though.
    Very interesting that you say this as there has been so much in the press about a culture of sexual harassment in Silicon Valley over the past few years. Not long ago wasn't there an executive who had been massively funding anti-gay marriage campaigns? I'm not sure your impression of Silicon Valley when it comes to management/executives is as liberal as California. More libertarian - yay marijuana boo regulation types.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Yes, but IB are VERY monocultural (I know, I work for one).
    If you don't fit in, you are out, so IB isn't really a good example.
    Sure (and I used to work in one as well) but the idea that Google is some kind of far-left fringe company for firing this guy doesn't ring true to me. In IB and corporate law you'd be out on your ass for writing something like this and those aren't particularly liberal industries.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Very interesting that you say this as there has been so much in the press about a culture of sexual harassment in Silicon Valley over the past few years. Not long ago wasn't there an executive who had been massively funding anti-gay marriage campaigns? I'm not sure your impression of Silicon Valley when it comes to management/executives is as liberal as California. More libertarian - yay marijuana boo regulation types.
    Sorry, I didn't really understand your post.

I've spent some time there and the amount of lip service paid to inclusiveness, diversity, acceptance and equality is through the roof. It's plastered all over the place on signage, etched into the walls of schools and public playgrounds.

To me though, simply throwing the words out there doesn't mean jack, and relying on slogans rather than being able to discuss or explore issues in depth is completely counterproductive.

It's the same way that people from San Francisco/Silicon Valley go on about environmentalism, but at the same time consumer culture and constant Amazon Prime deliveries (and subsequent contribution to landfills) is at insane levels compared to the rest of the world.

As an outsider, it seems to me that one of the aspects of the culture there is to pay lip service to political correctness, carefully toe the verbal line, and otherwise completely ignore simmering social issues.

Gender discrimination is obvious there (as are other issues such as race and socioeconomic divides), but the way that Google handled it was both cliched and counterproductive.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

I've spent some time there and the amount of lip service paid to inclusiveness, diversity, acceptance and equality is through the roof. It's plastered all over the place on signage, etched into the walls of schools and public playgrounds.
    Show me where.

https://www.google.com.hk/maps/@37.3...7i10240!8i5120

https://www.google.com.hk/maps/@37.4...7i10240!8i5120

https://www.google.com.hk/maps/uv?hl...-WDGUQoioIfjAO

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Show me where.
    Seriously? You're going to challenge someone who's been there and seen this with their own eyeballs?

There's a wall behind the seating area at the Mitchell Park (Magical Bridge), playground full of slogans. About 2km from the Googleplex.

Does it turn up in Google Photos? Beats me and I can't be arsed looking it up, but it's a particularly unpicturesque shot as it's usually full of tired looking parents baking in the sun.

Seriously? You're going to challenge someone who's been there and seen this with their own eyeballs?

There's a wall behind the seating area at the Mitchell Park (Magical Bridge), playground full of slogans. About 2km from the Googleplex.

Does it turn up in Google Photos? Beats me and I can't be arsed looking it up, but it's a particularly unpicturesque shot as it's usually full of tired looking parents baking in the sun.
    So you're criticizing a particular playground especially designed for people with a disability? I wonder why the word inclusiveness gets mentioned.

How's that lip service?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7l4e2aWuVM
    Last edited by civil_servant; 15-08-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    So you're criticizing a particular playground especially designed for people with a disability? I wonder why the word inclusiveness gets mentioned.

How's that lip service?

What on earth are you talking about- do you know that playground beyond possibly what you could look up on the FAQ or a 30 second video? Because it's just a run of the mill, noisy playground to anyone who's been there (noisy and crowded as most playgrounds are). I have a nephew with autism (which is ostensibly what it's designed for), that playground isn't any better or worse than any of the others in the area. Nor is it any better or worse than other playgrounds for people with physical disabilities.

Tell you what, you fly there, take a photo of the wall of slogans, and report back to us.

Whilst you're at it, go to the school across the parking lot and note what they've got carved into their entranceway.

Or don't. Because long ago I've pretty much classed you into the "Geo users who are not really worth my time" category.
    Last edited by jgl; 15-08-2017 at 03:09 PM.
    TheBrit likes this.

What on earth are you talking about- do you know that playground beyond possibly what you could look up on the FAQ or a 30 second video? Because it's just a run of the mill, noisy playground to anyone who's been there (noisy and crowded as most playgrounds are). I have a nephew with autism (which is ostensibly what it's designed for), that playground isn't any better or worse than any of the others in the area. Nor is it any better or worse than other playgrounds for people with physical disabilities.

Tell you what, you fly there, take a photo of the wall of slogans, and report back to us.

Whilst you're at it, go to the school across the parking lot and note what they've got carved into their entranceway.
    The school across the road is a school for kids with disabilities. That's why they talk about inclusion.

Abilities United’s mission is to advance advocacy, inclusion, and independence for children and adults with disabilities. About 75 percent of Abilities United participants have developmental disabilities—like Down syndrome, autism, or epilepsy—and the remaining 25 percent have learning or physical disabilities.
    Or don't. Because long ago I've pretty much classed you into the "Geo users who are not really worth my time" category.
    My my my, what was that point about considering other people's viewpoints?

Knowing when to stop.

Is a quality.

I will leave this here, and go get a coffee.

HK_Katherine and kimwy66 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast