Like Tree31Likes

Why does every gym always have a couple of nutjobs?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Angry Why does every gym always have a couple of nutjobs?

I hit the gym 4-5 times a week and would say I train hard, good form and relatively heavy. I don't mind gyms like PURE and I don't mind working out in a dungeon. Now, how come with gyms like PURE, there's always 2-3 nutjobs doing crazy sh*t like as they were working out in their parents' basement?

Either screaming out at every rep although light weight, slamming weights when they stack them, monster ego issues, therefore, attempting to lift heavier weights than what they are capable of.. I understand a few grunts here and there are necessary when going heavy. All good, but some of these guys take it to another level.

I mean, I go often and every gym always has 2-3 guys that truly are nutjobs.

Just a reflection of our society I guess, but well, while I sometimes find it amusing - most of the time it's frustrating listen to someone yelling out their reps, or breathing out so bloody heavy before a set that they are essentially spitting all over the place or screaming at the top of every rep, or even shadow boxing before doing a set of biceps curls.

Most of these experiences are at PURE by the way. I guess this is a bit of a rant...

Rooster likes this.

That was a refreshing read, and I'm glad I've decided recently not to join Pure. Which one is it?

My gym has no nutjobs... the vast majority of people do incredibly sedate weights. Sometimes people do baffling stuff, but only baffling because it's ineffective.

My main complaint is the shitty music which only changes playlist once or twice a year.

imparanoic likes this.

My main complaint is the shitty music which only changes playlist once or twice a year.
    To misquote from another thread.. join a better gym which gives you a Spotify account with the monthly fee! And throws in a new phone with the signup .. and allows you to buy special bluetooth workout headphones... :

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    That was a refreshing read, and I'm glad I've decided recently not to join Pure. Which one is it?

My gym has no nutjobs... the vast majority of people do incredibly sedate weights. Sometimes people do baffling stuff, but only baffling because it's ineffective.

CWB and ICBC. Mostly these references are to ICBC. Not even to mention the guy singing out loud while he's on the threadmill.
    shri likes this.

ICBC.... somethingsomethingfinancepeoplearecrazy?

Ah, hang on. We do have:

Older Chinese guy does high rep, super light weight squats in the corner and makes sex groaning noises on each rep. Mildly off-putting

Really old Chinese guy with long grey hair tends to stand around stark naked in the change room chatting to friends, occasionally singing. Never covers himself up.

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-HK:
    Not even to mention the guy singing out loud while he's on the threadmill.
    Thanks for the laugh .. what does he sing?!?

Steroids are a hell of a drug.

-1983- likes this.

Hahaha so funny post!
    Can totally relate to it though...at least, I am reassured, I am not the only one to feel annoyed (sometimes I even feel uncomfortable) by those guys making weird noises at the gym! Because when those guys make these noises, it is like am the only one noticing them, everybody acts "normal"...I need to double check myself if I am actually hearing them...

My biggest peeve aside from those who do not re-stack weights (which is every HongKer at the gym) is the bench hog who sits there for 5 minutes staring into their phones between sets.

Cwbguy and gorillaMS13 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast