Like Tree14Likes

Advice on where to live with two young kids

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Take a look at South Horizons. Apartments there may be a bit old and around the same price as DB, but you can find 3 bedroom apartment for under 30 thousand no problem (maybe even with seaview as well) and transport is very convenient (MTR to Central takes around 20 minutes). There are plenty of facilities available for use (badminton court, squash, tennis courts etc.) which are cheap; playgrounds for children as well. Shopping is also convenient (there's a big mall right across the road and a cinema as well!). Unfortunately you can't have pets as they are not allowed. If you would like to have a place on the island and not too far away from Central, seriously consider this, it's a great place to live (in my opinion)

kkaian likes this.

Discovery Bay is certainly NOT an option, if you want a 30 min commute. It would take around 1 hour door to door, and you need to follow the rigid ferry schedule.

mr22 and kkaian like this.

Are midlevels kid friendly at all or not really?

Last edited by kkaian; 15-09-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks for all the info! At the moment just have an 18 month old but we will have another coming and will be there for three years (really don't want to move in that time!). Schools aren't a huge issue though obviously, and I don't think we want to be an hour from the AIA building. Any more thoughts on Kennedy town or Taikoo? Don't know anything about those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I think this depends on the OP's view on individualism or if she is prone to peer group pressure... If you think HK Island is cliquey among the yummy mummy set, Stepford County, I mean Discovery Bay, is a whole new ball game...lol

Depends which clique you like I suppose, or maybe the OP isnt into being made to drink that koolade lol

cool if she isnt, coz it is very rare to find folks like that in this synthetic town of shallow skin thick relationships, habitual networkers and associations ( I wont insult the word ' friendship ' )
    Wow what a response! I'd like some real friends if that's what you mean. I actually do worry about discovery bay for that reason but I've always found some genuine and great people wherever I've lived and that's enough!
    Alexys likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kkaian:
    Thanks for all the info! At the moment just have an 18 month old but we will have another coming and will be there for three years (really don't want to move in that time!). Schools aren't a huge issue though obviously, and I don't think we want to be an hour from the AIA building. Any more thoughts on Kennedy town or Taikoo? Don't know anything about those areas.
    Kennedy Town and Taikoo Shing would be good options. BUT it's as much of a concrete jungle as it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by bargfeldstegen:
    Discovery Bay is certainly NOT an option, if you want a 30 min commute. It would take around 1 hour door to door, and you need to follow the rigid ferry schedule.
    The DB ferry is a sufficiently civilised form of public transport that the extra time could easily be overlooked.

Kennedy town is also good, however the only place I can think of that may suit you is Belchers, however it is way pricier than other places like South Horizons.

If you're adventurous and don't care about the looks from your future fellow expat friends, you could also consider the dark side (Kowloon), i.e. Kowloon Station, Tsim Sha Tsui, or Olympic.

Quote Originally Posted by bargfeldstegen:
    If you're adventurous and don't care about the looks from your future fellow expat friends, you could also consider the dark side (Kowloon), i.e. Kowloon Station, Tsim Sha Tsui, or Olympic.
    I think aiming for $30k in Kowloon Station might be a challenge, it's an expensive spot. If she goes up to $40k then possible.

TST is a horrible place to live with toddlers and infants.
    mr22, kkaian and gigglinggal like this.