Like Tree127Likes

"Extra Tuitions" - The Real Cost of Education?

Closed Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I will take your word for it that the tutoring industry isn't flourishing in Paris

Although "A full-fledged private tutoring market exists in France now" as the below papers suggest. Interestingly the papers I have seen looking at supplementary tutoring in France always seem to call it the more negative sounding 'shadow' education.

Users of Private Tutoring in France | Cairn International
    People also eat more sugar than before. Doesn't mean it's good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    There are tutors and tutor companies in every single city and municipality in the west; and they are not there to cater to the asian market.

Tutoring business fills local void in Halifax | The Chronicle Herald

If anyone tries to convince you its an Asian thing, they are full of it:

Private tutoring is thriving in Canada, but is it necessary? | Globalnews.ca
    Remember this?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ion-babies-ex/

This is key here.

"I think parents are very desperate to give their own children every single enhancement that they can," she surmises.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Nah, I graduated in 1998, and it was still the same as people describe here. The entry requirements to my program also haven't changed since then.
    Still 25+ years ago from the time most kids get a tutor.

So what has changed? Marketing of enrichment products to parents. The experts aren't convinced though. Neither am I.
    You make a very convincing argument Did you use APA referencing style or MLA?

It's a valid question that no one can answer. Would be good to have some research on that.
    Please look at the research that is there. It is probably very tough to get good research as it means giving some kids less education as a reference. Would you sign your kid up to that?

It's a valid question that no one can answer. Would be good to have some research on that. But one thing is for sure, even with all those tutors, Hong Kong kids aren't doing too well.

Could it be, that maybe, just maybe, they need more free play?
    Are you suggesting that the tutoring industry is the primary reason for student suicides? Surely it is the appalling governance in Hong Kong that has kept 1980's levels of tertiary education places and offers very few pathways for kids that did't achieve using the normal route.

I will take your word for it that the tutoring industry isn't flourishing in Paris

Although "A full-fledged private tutoring market exists in France now" as the below papers suggest. Interestingly the papers I have seen looking at supplementary tutoring in France always seem to call it the more negative sounding 'shadow' education.

Users of Private Tutoring in France | Cairn International
    Did you read what you posted?

4% (the table you posted) of top student use tutoring - how is that the same as in HK?

Anyway, as always you put words in people's mouth - where did I say tutotring is not flourishing in France?

Are you going to seat here and tell me in all honesty the kids at top school in france get the same amount of tutoring as kids as top school in HK?

seriously people stop the BS for a sec.

Still 25+ years ago from the time most kids get a tutor.

You make a very convincing argument Did you use APA referencing style or MLA?
    And you walk around with your eyes closed if you need references.

Name:  celebrity_tutors.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  98.6 KB

If it was ineffective, they wouldn't spend $$$$ on a sign like that.

Please look at the research that is there. It is probably very tough to get good research as it means giving some kids less education as a reference. Would you sign your kid up to that?
    Absolutely. That's why they're in a school that doesn't even assign homework for the first two years. I pay extra for that.

I also don't consider it less education, but I rather see it from a quality vs quantity perspective.

Are you suggesting that the tutoring industry is the primary reason for student suicides?
    No, that's you mouth stuffing. Just saying, it doesn't offer salvation. I suggested something that might and even the article itself recommended solutions by experts, but you conveniently ignored that and proceeded to mouth stuffing instead.

Surely it is the appalling governance in Hong Kong that has kept 1980's levels of tertiary education places and offers very few pathways for kids that didn't achieve using the normal route.
    Where are they?

Where are they? Hong Kong post-secondary colleges fail to meet student admission targets | South China Morning Post

Original Post Deleted
    First person t provide some sort of answer - thanks for that.

Fact remains tho, while you and HC may be using tutoring selectively...a huge amount of people in HK are not (I dont buy that 5-7 years old need tutoring in Mandarin, English, Maths and whatnot when they attend VSA, German Swiss and the likes - yes I talk from experience.)

Original Post Deleted
    Not to you obviously but to EC who is trying to make a parallel (intellectual dishonesty at its finest on this) and which frankly was my point from the beginning of this thread.

I never said tutoring was useless (I did say several times it could be useful) I only object to the fact that some poeple seem to think the amount of tutoring in HK is fine and on par with the rest of the world - which frankly to me is horseshit to remain polite.
    Skyhook likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    ....so you got an Ecricome too lol (that make me sound so old) - sorry only french would get that one I am afraid!

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    First person t provide some sort of answer - thanks for that.

Fact remains tho, while you and HC may be using tutoring selectively...a huge amount of people in HK are not (I dont buy that 5-7 years old need tutoring in Mandarin, English, Maths and whatnot when they attend VSA, German Swiss and the likes - yes I talk from experience.)
    Some numbers.

More than half of HK's students use private tuition, survey finds | South China Morning Post

More than 60 per cent of students who took tutorial lessons said they attended classes at private schools, while 34 per cent said they hired private tutors. The students on average spent 3.06 hours a day on extra study.

Did you read what you posted?

4% (the table you posted) of top student use tutoring - how is that the same as in HK?

Anyway, as always you put words in people's mouth - where did I say tutotring is not flourishing in France?

Are you going to seat here and tell me in all honesty the kids at top school in france get the same amount of tutoring as kids as top school in HK?

seriously people stop the BS for a sec.
    You made a statement that some societies wouldn't need tutoring.

Just to add another point of view. it would cost zero in france for example (re school),
    Just wanted to point out that was not the case. I did not suggest they were on a par only pointed out it was not zero and was growing quite quickly.

The tutoring system in Hong Kong is very mature while in Paris it is just beginning. London is suggested to be up to 42% of kids using a tutor (probably where HK was 10 years ago).

As for the % of kids using a tutor and how many hours they have them. It feels as though you are over-estimating the issue.

On average what % of kids and how many extra hours do you think kids do?