• 2 Post By Plus
  • 1 Post By jobin
  • 2 Post By Shiojiri Hiro
  • 1 Post By cookie09
  • 1 Post By Shiojiri Hiro

US Travel ideas needed

Closed Thread

US Travel ideas needed

We're going to be on the coast of California on the weekend of 4th Nov and have to be in Washington DC on the following Friday and NYC on Sunday.

We like nature, have seen most cities that need to be seen in the US (eg LV) and would love to avoid huge distances in principle.

It kind of makes sense to stay where it's warm before taking a plane straight to Washington DC but would live to hear some ideas of what to do during the week inbetween.

Many thanks

Are you planning stay in California for the five days or so before going to D.C.? Also, where in California? As far as some recommendations, Nappa Valley is amazing and so is Joshua Tree. If you are spending some time in the NY area but want to do outdoors activities, you can go to the jersey shore or Westchester and get on a charter boat and go fishing. Also, there is lots of good hiking in Bear Mountain.

cookie09 and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus:
    Are you planning stay in California for the five days or so before going to D.C.? Also, where in California? As far as some recommendations, Nappa Valley is amazing and so is Joshua Tree. If you are spending some time in the NY area but want to do outdoors activities, you can go to the jersey shore or Westchester and get on a charter boat and go fishing. Also, there is lots of good hiking in Bear Mountain.
    actually in California we are staying at Pismo Beach. i just looked at the weather om the east coast in November, and it makes me want to stick somewhere down west/south

Um. That would be Napa Valley, home of world famous wines. I suppose from Napa to Calistoga. Sounds like you won't be making that journey, this time at least.

Hilton Head Island, SC might suit your fancy. Near Savannah so lots of history and decent weather but might be expensive. Fly to Atlanta, hire a car. Or fly to Charleston SC, and rent a car there. Very unfortunately, must have a car in USA.

cookie09 likes this.

santa Barbara is nice and you've not far from that. depends on what you like/want to do. Newport beach/huntingdon beach/laguna beach area is awesome if you like beach and surf etc. Shopping in the OC is also excellent - check out South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island (SCP accepts...Union pay!)

Food in socal is also excellent - great Mexican food and good quality produce. you can also fly to DC from SNA airport - it's small so queues for customs etc are really short.

November on the east coast will be cold, so agree if you want to stay warm, stay in Socal. San Diego is also good with loads to do. If you want to chill in a posh resort, you can check out the options in La Jolla too.

cookie09 and ddubya like this.

good stuff, many thanks. keep it coming

East_coast likes this.

If you like kitsch - driving south on 101 to Santa Barbara you can stop at Solvang and get some pea soup at Andersen's. If you drive north upwards to Monterrey you can hit the Madonna Inn and Hearst Castle. The drive along Highway 1- Big Sur is absolutely amazing and terrifying at the same time.

Just head further south towards Santa Barbara and Los Angeles, then fly out of LAX to Washington. Plenty to do and see for a week.

the road around Big Sur is still kinda messed up atm. I just did the drive from the OC to SF last week. it's a pain getting to hearst castle etc so I didn't bother.

Depends also on the kind of nature you like- beach and sea? desert? Or lush green land? the latter might be hard in November if you want to stay warm and dry...

ddubya likes this.

I forgot about the landslide/closures on Highway 1 , but why was getting to Hearst Castle a particular pain? I would think from Pismo that it wouldn't be that bad.