Moving HK-Korea Dec/Jan 2018 - re selling furniture

Closed Thread

Moving HK-Korea Dec/Jan 2018 - re selling furniture

Hello all,

I'm planning to move from Hong Kong to South Korea in dec/jan 2018.

I've emailed about 10 movers/packers and have been quoted between HK$30-55k for my 400sq ft apartment.

With that amount I am better off selling/giving away my furniture here in hk and buying new ones there.

I know I can probably post on the classifieds section here to get rid of some furniture, but i'm worried about what to do about furniture I can't sell. Does anyone have any advice to offer on the best cost-efficient way to get rid of the furniture?

If anyone has any trustworthy company that can ship my boxes of clothes/electronics to recommend they are also gratefully received.

Unfortunately, I am moving on my own coin, so I'm extra conscious of the costs involved with this move.

Thank you in advance for any advice offered!

Try KFIC Logistics (T: 2126-7422), they were the receiving company for my stuff shipped from Canada. For 1 pallet it was only about $5,700 not sure what they costs out of HK are but shouldn't be more to ship to Korea. All my stuff arrived within timeline and in good shape. I don;t think they do pick up and packing so you'd have to do that separately.

Keep in mind there are more options for buying from 2nd hand furniture shops in Korea compared to HK, not usually a great selection but you can easily get your fridge and washer, kitchen table and maybe shelves bed-frame. Try HK Furniture and Appliances FB group to sell off your stuff.

Thanks Cornmeal! I've now requested to join the Facebook group, and thanks for the recommendation for shipping.

In Hong Kong, I'd actually gotten most of my furniture from Taobao, so it was quite affordable. I was hoping to do the same in Korea, but I can't seem to find any forwarders from China-Korea to that's a bummer. On the bright side, there is an Ikea so I know where I can get a bedframe and wardrobe to get me started.

Thanks again!

You can sell your furniture here on GeoExpat https://geoexpat.com/classifieds/

If it's reasonably priced it will be snapped up fairly quickly. Ikea stuff takes longer to move so you may need to just give that away.

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.