Like Tree95Likes

Hong Kong can be another Silicon Valley CE says

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Do people always have to take things literally? With Silicon Valley, they mean a high tech hub. It doesn't mean that it'll be another Silicon Valley. Ottawa and Waterloo in Canada are often referred to as Silicon Valleys. It doesn't mean they're carbon copies of the former or that they compete in size.

Oh, look, Edinburgh referred to as Silicon Valley.

https://www.finextra.com/newsarticle...y-to-edinburgh

I don't think they referred to Edinburgh as Silicon Valley. Not RTFA .. but the summary says "Royal Bank of Scotland is inviting tech entrepreneurs from across the world to its Edinburgh HQ to discuss the latest trends in technology and mingle with local fintech entrepreneurs, customers and bank staff at an event dubbed Disrupt 17."

They invited tech leaders/innovators for a conference.

Yes, I'm just nitpicking...

JAherbert and civil_servant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I don't think they referred to Edinburgh as Silicon Valley.
    Silicon Glen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Glen

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I don't think they referred to Edinburgh as Silicon Valley. Not RTFA .. but the summary says "Royal Bank of Scotland is inviting tech entrepreneurs from across the world to its Edinburgh HQ to discuss the latest trends in technology and mingle with local fintech entrepreneurs, customers and bank staff at an event dubbed Disrupt 17."

They invited tech leaders/innovators for a conference.

Yes, I'm just nitpicking...
    Oh, ignore that link. I didn't even read it, lol. Anyhow, just look at the naming of other tech hubs. Silicon Glen, Silicon Fen, etc.

Hong Kong can be Silicon Bay.

Silicon Glen
    The only Glens I know are alcoholic.
    Mat likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Drop the SillyBay. It's cleaner.

We could even invite the great tech innovators like Microsoft to come participate!
    muzzdang and kimwy66 like this.

Original Post Deleted
    It is not clear what Ms Lam thinks should happen. Should HK become a the VC centre of China - But Beijing want that to be Beijing or the capital raising centre but the CCP directed Tech Stocks to list in Shanghai not HK. All very confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Beijing want that to be Beijing or the capital raising centre but the CCP directed Tech Stocks to list in Shanghai not HK. All very confusing.
    but Tencent e-books IPO launching in HK

Tencent’s China Literature, mainland’s biggest online publisher, launches IPO worth up to US$1.1 billion | South China Morning Post
    Last edited by JAherbert; 24-10-2017 at 09:33 AM. Reason: change the link to scmp
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    It is not clear what Ms Lam thinks should happen. Should HK become a the VC centre of China - But Beijing want that to be Beijing or the capital raising centre but the CCP directed Tech Stocks to list in Shanghai not HK. All very confusing.
    You should get used to the idea that Hong Kong won't be anything centre in the future and that China has more than 3 cities. Nonetheless, they can build up a tech hub in order to provide good jobs for their residents.
    parilla likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Nonetheless, they can build up a tech hub in order to provide good jobs for their residents.
    You appear to be suffering from a "If we build it, they will come" mentality. Yes, of course Hong Kong could build a tech hub, but to build a successful tech hub is the key and the success factor is not possible without serious change in the education and social environments.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast