Like Tree95Likes

Hong Kong can be another Silicon Valley CE says

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Asians (including Hong Kongers) play computer games a lot. I think this could be something worth pursuing.
    See, it's not so much about what specific technology to develop. It's about integrating the Greater Bay area and the opportunities Hong Kong can get involved in during this process. Technology is just one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    You should get used to the idea that Hong Kong won't be anything centre in the future and that China has more than 3 cities. Nonetheless, they can build up a tech hub in order to provide good jobs for their residents.
    I suggest Ms Lam's comments were just rambling babble filled with buzz words without any clarity and you say there are more than one city and a tech hub can be built.

Still confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    Ultimately it will have to change when corporation realize they need to implement efficient Data Analytics. Problem is HK is really slow (corporation wise) to adopt new technologies. A lot of conglomerate rely on really old legacy systems.

It's going to be interesting to see how it develops. I know some companies here just can't find the talents they need like in UX, if you work in that area you get offers left and right.
    Within a short paragraph you highlighted three opportunities. Even more reasons to invest in tech and find ways to attract talent.

Blah blah blah..., heard it all before. Asians can't innovate, can't make decisions, lack Western style education, etc. I've lived in Asia for too long to believe in such nonsense.
    Your mind has made this into an issue of racism. This makes little sense.

From the posts above people have said Hong Kong lacks the culture and support to be a tech hub. If it were as easy as the government stating we will have a tech hub there would be plenty examples to look at of alternatives to SIlicon Valley. There isn't. It clearly isn't a race issue but if that is how your mind works...

How is Brexit proceeding in your superior educational and social environment?
    This makes no sense. The lack of a cohesive and compelling argument is very telling
    TheBrit, Mefisto, kimwy66 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    My comments are just rambling babble filled with buzz words with lots of mouth stuffing to boot.
    Fixed that for you.

She's setting up a vision for the city. It's similar to a top executive visiting your office and given a talk. They rarely get into details. If you want a detailed blueprint, you'll have to wait.

Beijing ‘losing no time’ to get input on blueprint for ‘Greater Bay Area’ | South China Morning Post

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    agree 100%, a good example hongkongpost rolling out e-cert
    hongkongpost can't buy estamps

hongkongpost EC Ship is great, but even if you prepay you need to line up at the counter to hand it in (and if you are lucky the amazon seller in fron of you has less than 100 items)

hongkongpost EC Ship refunds are a complex issue, rather than simply give a credit towards the next time you pay online.

And why this won't work is very simple, Silicon Valley is/was technology driven, not bureaucrat driven. A good bureaucrat driven example are the food trucks.
    TheBrit, shri, JAherbert and 2 others like this.

Fixed that for you.

She's setting up a vision for the city. It's similar to a top executive visiting your office and given a talk. They rarely get into details. If you want a detailed blueprint, you'll have to wait.

Beijing ‘losing no time’ to get input on blueprint for ‘Greater Bay Area’ | South China Morning Post
    Yes but her / your / the parties line it is far from compelling or cohesive.

If a C level came to my office and just babbled buzzwords and talked of an improbably concept they would be harshly questioned in public and ridiculed in private.

If I had missed the opportunities then a better argument would be helpful. But To strengthen the argument you have just repeated it or talked about race, Brexit or other cities etc. Not clarity on the role HK would provide.

This approach of repetition vagueness and distractionary comments just re-enforces the improbability of the whole concept for me personally.

PS Isn't Cyber Port now officially a bad example that shouldn't be cited as being great example?

I didn't read it as providing jobs for HongKers but rather mainland talent. I don't think HongKers are up to the task. Sorry if this sounds offensive. I would like to see HK as a true world city to include anyone qualified to come here but that would invite greater laughter.

Original Post Deleted
    it's just another bandwagon, a few years ago it was PRD, then Pan-PRD, next we get the Greater Bay area

I am pretty certain that the folks in govt. do not understand, look at e-cert debacle, cyberport, giving "innovation awards" to "me too" companies copying ideas from overseas (such as gogovan and that defunct magnetic power connector company). Officials seem to think hong kong needs to be the hub for everything, just add hub: medical, IT, trade, finance, fintech, innovation, etc. etc. lots of pointless politician speak. They are planning to provide e-HKID, afterwards, I bet most govt. depts will still need you to fill a form with HKID number and signature.
    TheBrit likes this.

The fatcrats should call it The (Great) Silicon Con.

It has that comforting alliterative thing going for it and it can be pronounced as "Xi lick-on con", reflecting deep... Xi Thought.