Like Tree314Likes

How to retire early in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 36 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast

I retired about 1.5 years ago at 30. My income is mostly from investments now. HK's tax system makes life easy - no government administrative work on my investments. I'm actually more bored than anything - I basically only make 1-3 trades a year so I have a lot of free time (trying to ramp it up though).

I didn't actually want to retire but my boss got cancer (he survived but is severely weakened) and gave control over the business to his protege who promptly cut me out. A real shame because my former boss and I had a very good working relationship.

I've found it difficult to get another job without pedigree (I didn't go to an American or English university) or language skills (can't read/write Chinese).

cendrillon, Tadashi and pin like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Ah, that's very complicated. We have 4 dependents, none of them are our children - they are my wife's family who don't work. My wife last night finally made the very difficult decision of cutting them off temporarily (2 years) so we can focus on rapidly growing our portfolio. Then we will reassess whether we can support them financially going forward.
    jrkob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Viktri:
    I retired about 1.5 years ago at 30. My income is mostly from investments now. HK's tax system makes life easy - no government administrative work on my investments. I'm actually more bored than anything - I basically only make 1-3 trades a year so I have a lot of free time (trying to ramp it up though).

I didn't actually want to retire but my boss got cancer (he survived but is severely weakened) and gave control over the business to his protege who promptly cut me out. A real shame because my former boss and I had a very good working relationship.

I've found it difficult to get another job without pedigree (I didn't go to an American or English university) or language skills (can't read/write Chinese).
    Congratulations on the extremely early retirement!

Have you checked out courses offered by the LCSD? There's lots of great stuff in there.

Nice! I wish someone would be supporting me financially - I would retire tomorrow

came across this blog/website www.neverendingfootsteps.com today when my mind wandered on travel blogs and how they started.

I don't say that is retirement, but it is one heck of a gig she has for what she calls work.

Quote Originally Posted by cendrillon:
    Congratulations on the extremely early retirement!

Have you checked out courses offered by the LCSD? There's lots of great stuff in there.
    I signed up for EdX but I haven't finished a complete course because I spend my free time catching up on all the tech products that I missed (since 2008), reading up on legal cases (I love law and when I was younger did want to go into business law), and watching youtube (I only started watching youtube recently, I'm amazed at the content being produced).

I started a small business a few months ago but shut it down recently - didn't cost much and it was a good learning experience. Ideally I will be able to do something small in the near future.
    jrkob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Viktri:
    I signed up for EdX but I haven't finished a complete course because I spend my free time catching up on all the tech products that I missed (since 2008), reading up on legal cases (I love law and when I was younger did want to go into business law), and watching youtube (I only started watching youtube recently, I'm amazed at the content being produced).

I started a small business a few months ago but shut it down recently - didn't cost much and it was a good learning experience. Ideally I will be able to do something small in the near future.
    Wow, I hadn't come across EdX before. Thanks for the link! Coursera has some great courses that I need to get around to finishing one of these days

Youtube content has gotten amazing these past few years, I'm always amazed by the great stuff you can find on there, in particular anything to do with Jung or Nietzsche I find amazing.

This one is great if you're into philosophy which I've become increasingly interested in. I think it was seeing the impact the stoicism had on my life as I reoriented towards early retirement that made me appreciate how practically important philosophy is. I used to think philosophy was very abstract and theoretical but its actually extremely pragmatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnhMJl11JUo
    Viktri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cendrillon:
    Wow, I hadn't come across EdX before. Thanks for the link! Coursera has some great courses that I need to get around to finishing one of these days

Youtube content has gotten amazing these past few years, I'm always amazed by the great stuff you can find on there, in particular anything to do with Jung or Nietzsche I find amazing.

This one is great if you're into philosophy which I've become increasingly interested in. I think it was seeing the impact the stoicism had on my life as I reoriented towards early retirement that made me appreciate how practically important philosophy is. I used to think philosophy was very abstract and theoretical but its actually extremely pragmatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnhMJl11JUo
    I've been taking philosophy since high school (thanks to the IB program's theory of knowledge course) and continued in university and to this day. I've always enjoyed learning about different systems of thinking and understanding people and the world. Different tools for different problems and all that. I definitely wouldn't have been able to retire early without what I learned in philosophy.
    cendrillon likes this.

Hello,

I posted awhile back to see if this group gets together from time to time because I'd love to meet any early FI'ers who live in HK. I live in Los Angeles & & visiting some extended family this Thanksgiving week.

Someone previously mentioned meeting up for drinks; that sounds great if anyone wants to suggest time & place. I'm airbnbing in tsim tsa tsui but am totally open & interested in exploring other places.

Thanks! Mabel

Quote Originally Posted by mblung:
    Hello,

I posted awhile back to see if this group gets together from time to time because I'd love to meet any early FI'ers who live in HK. I live in Los Angeles & & visiting some extended family this Thanksgiving week.

Someone previously mentioned meeting up for drinks; that sounds great if anyone wants to suggest time & place. I'm airbnbing in tsim tsa tsui but am totally open & interested in exploring other places.

Thanks! Mabel
    I'd be happy to join, especially if in TST or nearby