Like Tree11Likes

Christmas in Bali? Volcanic Eruption

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Windmill65:
    My wife and I are having flight tickets to go there on December 29th. I hope that the issue has been solved by then.
    I think that "the issue has been solved" rather underrates the geological problem....
    The airport isn't closed because of government regulations or labour strikes, but because of a major geological incident. You realise that the eruption might go on for years..?

@MrRotavator apparently I have to practice more on expressing sarcasm. You obviously didn't get my attempt.
    That volcano will not go away anytime soon, I am aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Windmill65:
    @MrRotavator apparently I have to practice more on expressing sarcasm. You obviously didn't get my attempt.
    That volcano will not go away anytime soon, I am aware of that.
    Sarcasm posts needs a smiley face at the end so ppl know you're not being serious

Quote Originally Posted by markranson:
    That's right, with Billy Connolly. I haven't seen it but am told it's very good.
    Indeed, a good Sunday afternoon film..

The Man Who Sued God (2001) - IMDb

Hi All,

So I had booked our holidays for 7 days in Bali ober Christmas. and I was naïve enough not to check the volcani situation
    I booked the hotel (2 rooms for a week , 26k HK4) and 15K for airtickets. The Hotel charge was on noncancellable basis.
    I will be travelling with wife and 3 kids (aged 11, 6 and 2).

I have seen some people cancel their holidays in bali. I checked and hotel gave me an option to reschedule the trip upto jun 2018 but wont give any refund. The airlines has said the flight is on schedule till now and I could wait or I can get it rescheduled by paying 4k penatliy.

now the big question for me is whether to wait and see if the flights leaves on time and go ahead with the plan or to reschedule it

its my wife's birthday during that time so I wanted to have a nice time.

1. if I reschedule now, i wont get refund and will have to go next year. at this point of time, any alternative place will have hotels and airfare which will be very very expensive, is there an option that i could look at (preferably beach location) which is not very expensive at this time due to peak demand?

2. shall I just hope that things will be well and go ahead with the plan around xmas? there is a danger of getting stuck in bali or flight being cancelled last minute which will bring lot of disappointment for us.....one a brighter side, we wont end up rescheduling and then (most likely) spending the time in HK as other place are too expensive due to late booking...

the resort is in nusa dua which is far away from the volcano.....

please help me decide.

many many thanks!

Seems silly to cancel based on "what if". Go ahead. Have your holiday. At worst you may have to leave by boat to a different airport or have some other disruption. It may be far more interesting than a standard holiday! Unlikely to be much safety risk in Nusa.

Mrs. Jones and WMDS like this.

yeah i thought so too but at work, i have randomly met 2 people who have both cancelled their bali plan and mentioned that its dangerous!

We went to Bali back in September when the whole volcanic eruption warnings started. We considered moving our trip but made a last minute call to go.. We knew some people who chose to cancel their trips but we went ahead and once we got to Bali we completely forgot about the situation as life was normal. Worse that happens is you stay there for a few extra days but safety wise, I don't think you have anything to worry. Nusa is about 80km away from mount agung so no safety concerns ..

thanks for the replies..i am more inclined to go ahead with the plan. I am really hoping that the volcano doesn't cause any issues.....