Like Tree53Likes

Should we move to HK?!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    70,000 a month is beyond the top of that scale or do other schools pay more?
    There are several other perks and allowances thrown in for additional responsibilities.

And keep in mind that a number of the international schools pay more than the ESF - CIS and HKIS for sure.

Housing costs - Just go smaller and avoid the oppressive land tax
    Pollution - Not getting better any time soon
    Can't buy Wattie’s tomato sauce! - Who cares learn to love others

The big question
    Would your kid benefit from an international school education for a few years and all the extra curricula stuff you can do in a big city that you can't in your home town?

Original Post Deleted
    Working hours all depend on the school, so the challenge is to get a school that doesn't expect you to work crazy amounts of Saturdays and/or during the holidays (though if you're already familiar with hk, you can spot these places easily, and having already worked here you'll have an edge).
    As for universities paying better, that's a very common misconception. I was offered a lecturer job that would have meant at least a 30% pay cut compared to my salary as a secondary teacher. For that reason (hey this is Hong Kong, money matters!), plus the fact that I realised I still really love classroom teaching and needed to find a better school rather than change direction at that point in time, I continued teaching.
    Also, I think there's a huge market for a gweilo tradie here.
    chingleutsch likes this.

Original Post Deleted

I got curious so looked it up. The government website has a fairly detailed page on NET remuneration package including a link to the Master Pay scale.
    NET Scheme - Remuneration Package

I had no idea NET could make that kind of money. Now i'm questioning all my life's decisions.
    shri, civil_servant and UK/HKboy like this.

Great. Now her husband.

ScotNZ likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennBond:
    Great. Now her husband.
    Well, assuming the OP secures a decent international school job, they would be in a pretty good position. Her income should more than cover their family expenses (assuming they don't go crazy). He would be eligible for a dependent visa which would allow him to work freely. Without having to worry about making ends meet, he could take his time exploring and finding work that he enjoys and that pays reasonably. If eventually he couldn't find any work or they decided their current situation wasn't working out, well then they could return to NZ without much loss.

If you can get a position at a decent international school, you will get a good salary, a housing allowance, a nice end of contract bonus and free or subsidized tuition in a great school for your kids so it is absolutely worth it to move. If you fit in well, your husband would stand a great chance to find employment at the school and/or in a rugby related position and could also make lots of money tutoring kids from your school.

Apart from housing which will not be the same as in New Zealand, your cost of living can be lower particularly if you don't get a car which is easy to do in HK. The taxes are obviously much lower and the salary in a good international school is almost double the gross you make in NZ. Nice houses are not cheap in NZ these days particularly major cities so coming to HK for a few years will allow you to either clear your mortgage or buy a nice home if you decide to go back. At some of the schools, you get a 20-25% bonus at the end of your contract. Even if you spend everything, you can easily leave with 50 000 NZ after two years. If you manage to teach in an IB school, you will also get your certification which will make getting well paid jobs anywhere in the world fairly easy.

Quote Originally Posted by madal1:
    I got curious so looked it up. The government website has a fairly detailed page on NET remuneration package including a link to the Master Pay scale.
    NET Scheme - Remuneration Package

I had no idea NET could make that kind of money. Now i'm questioning all my life's decisions.
    holy shieeeet... i always thought it went up to about 60k and thats after 40 years of teaching! I did actually teach before, so this could have been an option. And I threw it all away