Like Tree71Likes

Moving to HK with 2 young kids - areas suggesting needed

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Olga_McCann:
    Hi all

we are moving to HK later in this year. We have 2 kids 3 years only and newborns. My husband will be working Kowloon side (right next to harbour). the budget is c 30-35k per months.

We are looking for at least 3 bedroom accommodation, preferably not in a huge tall skyscraper.

We are moving from London where we live in zone 4, very green area with the nice community. We would like to find something similar in HK, hence not looking into living Kowloon nor on the island (central part).

In our mind, we have heart set on living in new territories, east side of the island (eg Clear Water Bay). Ideally my husband would like as to live close to MTR station so we can catch train to work and avoid buses. However my concern is that anything which is next to MRT stations looks very isolated (huge appartement blocks with non much around)

Sai Kung looks perfect for me but it seems like a very long commute into Kowloon (might be wrong)

I’m looking into preschool places but as my older will be just turning 3 when we move, I’m not very concern about it.

Also we are potentially considering buying a car there.

Please share your suggestions on the good areas to live which will meet our expectations.
    Have you visited Hong Kong? I am just concerned about your description of where you live in London and looking for something like it in Hong Kong.

Thank you for your recommendations

don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind living in a building blocks in apartment. I used to live in east Europe so I’m very much used to live in apartment. So apartment blocks is an option.

But what is important for me is to have some green space close by (like parks, beach) so I can take kids out there. Hense we are looking for NT rather than island or Kowloon

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Have you visited Hong Kong? I am just concerned about your description of where you live in London and looking for something like it in Hong Kong.
    i haven’t but my husband been few time. He will be moving there before we move so he will have a chance to explore more.
    im doing my homework for him though plus then it makes easier to make the search for nursery / preschool

Thank you for explanations

Gold Coast looks like a mission to commute to get to the place where my husband will work ( very long MTR) line.

But i will consider
    I live just opposite Gold Coast. I agree that catching the MTR from here is a pain, but the buses are excellent: faster, cheaper, you can watch the scenery if you're not glued to the smartphone. The 962 series all stop just before entering the western harbour tunnel, or if you need to get more to the eastern side of things the Tuen Mun Road bus interchange is also very efficient for getting people everywhere from Hung Hom all the way across to Kwun Tong.

As I said, I really don't get this obsession with the MTR.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Hi all

we are moving to HK later in this year. We have 2 kids 3 years only and newborns. My husband will be working Kowloon side (right next to harbour). the budget is c 30-35k per months.

We are looking for at least 3 bedroom accommodation, preferably not in a huge tall skyscraper.

We are moving from London where we live in zone 4, very green area with the nice community. We would like to find something similar in HK, hence not looking into living Kowloon nor on the island (central part).

In our mind, we have heart set on living in new territories, east side of the island (eg Clear Water Bay). Ideally my husband would like as to live close to MTR station so we can catch train to work and avoid buses. However my concern is that anything which is next to MRT stations looks very isolated (huge appartement blocks with non much around)

Sai Kung looks perfect for me but it seems like a very long commute into Kowloon (might be wrong)

I’m looking into preschool places but as my older will be just turning 3 when we move, I’m not very concern about it.

Also we are potentially considering buying a car there.

Please share your suggestions on the good areas to live which will meet our expectations.
    East or West (ie on top of Kowloon Station or near Kwun Tong) - important as these are two totally different areas and while East would work well with Clearwater Bay etc it would be a "disaster" with Kowloon Station, while Gold Coast etc would on the other hand be good if Kowloon Station but a "disaster" if Kwun Tong area.
    chingleutsch likes this.

Like Mat says, can you be more specific about which area in "Kowloon" your husband needs to go to? Which MTR station is the closest to his workplace?

I can plan my day down to the minute if I'm taking MTR. That's why people obsess with it. It's accurate.

If I drive, I need to have an extra 10-15 minutes planned in unless I'm willing to dish out $$ for tolls.

If I bus, I also need to plan an extra 5-10 minutes.

HK has a lot of different types of areas and there's no right or wrong answer. Living in Tuen Mun I'm guessing that you can get a seat on the MTR since it's the first station. But all the others you must crowd in.

How often are you going to the beach and park? Most people would think it's silly to make a living decision on that. Here we often choose where to live based on our working situation. Public transport, driving and taxi are so convenient that you can simply go to the beach or park no matter where you live. And it's not like you would go everyday even if you lived on a beach.

This is not a recommendation or a suggestion but rather to perhaps offer another perspective.

We lived in Heng Fa Chuen which is on the island, right next to the MTR, there is no beach or park. So completely not what you are looking for . However, my three kids loved it. There is a long promenade alongside the harbour ideal for a stroll, there were several kids playgrounds dotted around the complex, there was a clubhouse with a pool. The shops were on our doorstep. If we wanted a beach or a park we just jumped in a taxi.

What I am saying is be open to other alternatives.

chuckster007 likes this.

Thank you for explanations

Gold Coast looks like a mission to commute to get to the place where my husband will work ( very long MTR) line.

But i will consider
    Where is your husband working? Let me assume somewhere near Wong Tai Sin or Diamond Hill for example (you can look those up and compare). From Gold Coast, you take any bus to the Tuen Mun Freeway interchange ( 5-10 mins depending on time of day and waiting); wait for one of the three buses that goes to that area (so average wait time around 5 minutes) and bus will take about 20-30 mins on the Freeway then hits the non-freeway around Wong Tai Sin. You can get on the MTR there or stay on the bus (but it slows considerably after that). I have regularly done GC to Wong Tai Sin in 45 mins including waiting.

So basically, forget the MTR and look at the bus system. Places with Freeway buses can be very fast, even in rush hour (there is, for example, a bus lane from Tuen Mun to near Tsuen Wan on weekday mornings).

Having said that, I would tend to look to live on the other side of the NT if I worked on the eastern side of Kowloon. I live in GC and work in Kwai Fong, which is an easy 30-40 min commute depending on traffic. I wouldn't want to live in a high rise either, but as others have said, if you have kids you miss out on a lot of benefits (club house, pool, etc).

Having said that, I have a colleague with young kid who lives in a low-rise estate on the clearwater bay road (so right location for you). The rises are perhaps 10 stories max, around a nice large pool and clubhouse with a shuttle bus to Choi Hung station every 20 mins or so. Plenty of other buses run nearby along Clear Water bay road.

You may find something like this fits the bill - give up some of your desire in order to optimise over all.

Anyway - all of this is moot until you come to HK and look around. You need to actually see it. Travel on the local transport. (during rush hour!). Get a feel of places at different times of day. Don't try and make a decision until you arrive.
    MandM! and imparanoic like this.

Which MTR station is the commute to? I would recommend Lamma Island if you're commuting to Kowloon Station or Olympic Station because it's a very short walk from the ferry pier to that train line. If it's TST then New Territories West like Kam Sheung Road is a good location too. With both of these options you'd get a very nice village house with your budget.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast