Like Tree91Likes

China bans hip-hop & tattoos from media

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MerMer:
    Wow, rather surprised at the support for the CCP's politically motivated ban here.
    Perhaps they could ban Pineapple on Pizzas next - that would get even more support!
    chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    (re: [OK if] Chinese authorities demolish Christian church ) Yup. Have little time for organised religion too.
    I'm not religious either, but... wow.

Look, much of what China does is a bit scary. But you can see where they are coming from. They have a paternalistic caring of the Chinese culture.
    Sorry, but ROTFLMAO. Please consider picking up a book about CCP's campaigns and policies since they took over in 1949.

Do you also believe they have a paternalistic care for the cultures of tibetans, uighurs, mongolians etc.?

Perhaps it's impossible to protect a culture from change and perhaps one should not try. But sometimes I do think the West has gone too far the other way with its "anything goes" attitudes.
    Considering that culture is actually a snapshot of constant evolution and interchange, trying to freeze or "protect" it through bans is a slightly silly notion.

Fifty years ago Britain (along with the rest of the west) was going through a kind of cultural revolution, with new liberal concepts being introduced. (and the PRC under CCP rule was very busy doing the opposite)

Would you like to return to time and culture of sixty years ago? Or maybe just pick and choose what suits your personal moral code (which is in fact a result of the abovementioned evolution) best?

Some illiberal regimes do actually want to impose anachronistic moral codes on entire populations. I think the Islamic Republic of Iran for instance is as entitled to do morality policing as you are. I'd rather just see people going about their lives as they see fit as long as they don't harm others.

A few rules about morality and decency are not a totally bad thing.
    Let me guess, your take on "morality and decency" is the one everyone should follow?

There are a few scholarly definitions for such behavioral streaks.
    TheBrit, nickvv, Gatts and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MerMer:
    Wow, rather surprised at the support for the CCP's politically motivated ban here.
    I don't think it's so much about support than about laughing at it because it's silly. If people want to get on high horses about what China is doing, there are far more significant issues than hip hop and tattoos. This is a bit like being concerned about a mosquito when there's a pack of wolves circling you...

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    I don't think it's so much about support than about laughing at it because it's silly. If people want to get on high horses about what China is doing, there are far more significant issues than hip hop and tattoos. This is a bit like being concerned about a mosquito when there's a pack of wolves circling you...
    I did originally post it in the basket case thread!

It really is just group thought - agree with our way of thinking or you are the enemy.

I was going to post the article about China saying it is going to ramp up it's nuclear arsenal to counter the 'threat' of America.

The bigger fear is the current helmsman might be less than stable than he should be.

Yawn, typical anti-CCP trash talk.

It happens in China, OMG, the interwebs go berzerk.

It happens in the UK, no one bats an eyelid.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/mu...edom-of-speech

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I did originally post it in the basket case thread!

It really is just group thought - agree with our way of thinking or you are the enemy.

I was going to post the article about China saying it is going to ramp up it's nuclear arsenal to counter the 'threat' of America.

The bigger fear is the current helmsman might be less than stable than he should be.
    This sounds like you are talking about the US

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Yawn, typical anti-CCP trash talk.

It happens in China, OMG, the interwebs go berzerk.

It happens in the UK, no one bats an eyelid.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/mu...edom-of-speech
    Perhaps if you looked at the comments section you would of got a better idea of what the sentement was of Guardian readers to this ban.

Good fu**ing grief.
    Its a good thing that Shakespeare isn't around anymore because he would be banged up for encouraging regicide.
    Do we really need to be protected from song lyrics?

Theresa May positioning herself as the Nanny in chief of the British Isles. Prat.

This was one embarrassing and backward movement on behalf of the UK Home Office. Banning Tyler exemplifies the issues regarding freedom of speech. We live in a developed democratic country, yet people are censoring artistic expression. It's a real shame.

From a quick look this seems to be an outlier. Most people are banned for hate speech, violent crimes etc. not art

Are there any more examples from the UK? Perhaps the public broadcaster not playing Frankie Goes to Hollywood?
    Last edited by East_coast; 31-01-2018 at 09:27 PM.
    Mefisto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    This sounds like you are talking about the US
    People do point out the similarities between the two. One country will be able to remove him from office and has congress, the senate and the Free press to keep him in check while the other looks more and more like a dictator.

nevermind...

civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41qC3w3UUkU

one of my favorite songs. a lotta hating going on here.
    Personally I find Rap / Hip Hop to be a grating as folk music. Both have very low barriers to entry. It really is just modern day urban folk music.

I don't like folk music - Rural or Urban!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast