Like Tree39Likes

Problem with NAS, or router.

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Changing the drive on the NAS is for those that like risk and :
    are 100% sure that they won't make a mistake removing the wrong drive,
    are 100% sure than when you replace the drive the other drives don't disconnect
    are certain that something else hasn't failed like you drive back plane or one of the "good drive" is actually also screwed and won't survive a power cycle.

Any of the above will result in total failure of you are using RAID5 or lower... so doing a backup would be the logical thing, however going at full rate could cause the drive to fail.

A rate limited backup is what I would do first, to the cloud to an external USB drive.
    eg. rsync --bwlimit
    and then keep away from the box until it finishes. After that replace the drive however you want, hot-swap it if your NAS supports that, power off, replace it or what ever.

If you backup to the cloud, remember that restoring could also take weeks to restore.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    Any of the above will result in total failure of you are using RAID5 or lower... so doing a backup would be the logical thing, however going at full rate could cause the drive to fail.

A rate limited backup is what I would do first, to the cloud to an external USB drive.
    eg. rsync --bwlimit
    Can you expand on the bolded parts- why would "full rate" increase the chance of failure? The platters will spin at the same rate regardless, and the heads will still have to move around just as much, possibly more.

Whatever solution you use, remember to test restores regularly too. When the shit hits the fan you don't want to be fumbling around trying to do a restore for the first time.

Original Post Deleted
    No. You are a smart guy, you don't need my explanations, unless you are looking to argue.

Well, that was certainly an interesting response to a genuine question.

Well if you do backup to Amazon Glacier (Oregon location) I think its already 'rate limited' due to the fact it is uploading at internet speeds. The first backup will probably take a few weeks, but once its done then just incremental after that so its not so bad.

Also my Glacier backups are intended to never be used. If a disk fails, hot swap it and continue on without needing the backups. It's only in the emergency situation that you describe above where 2 might fail at the same time or there is a fire in my apartment etc where I would ever actually need to use these backups. In this case, yes it might take a few weeks to restore as well but I can live with that. My backups are mainly family photo's and videos and there is not much I would need in an instant. As long as I get them back I dont really care how long it takes. Actually it would take me 30 months (@10GB/month which is Amazon free retrieval limit) to get everything back if I dont want to pay any extra retrieval charges.

Original Post Deleted
    Expedited retrieval is $0.03 per GB, so around $9 for my 300 GB will not break the bank if I dont want to wait 30 months. Or there is standard and bulk retrieval methods a bit cheaper if you can't afford $9 to get your data back. Also in the 5 years I have had glacier, I have had a few HDD failures and replaced them, my bloody wife even pulled one of the disks out when she was vacuuming one day., but never have I actually had to do a restore from glacier yet.

https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/pricing/

Original Post Deleted
    - without going through the old posts - what sort of NAS do you have?

Looking at the PS3 specs, you need a DLNA media server running either on your NAS or on your windows PC, which the PS3 will connect to and stream from.

Original Post Deleted
    perhaps you should look at getting a raspberry PI type box for about 100US - should burn considerably less electricity than a PS/3 and infinitely more flexible with Kodi.