Like Tree27Likes

European antiques are there any in Hong Kong ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

European antiques are there any in Hong Kong ?

Looking for really real european antiques in Hong Kong is a very dissatisfying. HK residents who should be worldly and affluent seems to Fail to understand the aesthetic and nurturing empowerment that European antiques in an interior can bestow upon the owners.
    Something hand made , beautiful and rare , not to mention practical such as antique furniture is passed over by interior designers in favour of outrageously bad taste reproductions and at sky high prices!
    Sure we get the odd bit of chinese furniture as a nod to the Hong Kong geographic location and culture but would a bit of Regency or French Empire, or over sleek “modern looking” Biedermeier enhance the home?
    Of course it would but does it have to be shipped from Europe USA or Australia?
    Are there no reputable European antique dealers in Hong Kong ?

prices are going downhill, too,many people die away and their children flood the market.

eIIe likes this.

If you can afford the genuine objects, surely you could stretch the housekeeping budget enough to pay for shipping?

Or if you just want the look, get a set of high res. photos to one of the better reproduction manufacters across the border.

Antiquesdesign and shri like this.

I think it is because most Hong Kong Chinese don't have any affinity with European or even British antiques. They don't hold particular meaning to them and most don't have the space or money to buy proper antiques.

Even if there were no regulations on exporting Chinese antiques, i don't think you would have many foreigners designing their homes like an imperial Chinese palace. Some people may have a few items, but normally from their own travels and they have some connection with.

jayinhongkong likes this.

No I want the real thing but no one in HK seems to appreciate real antiques.
    What a whole lot of authenticity is being missed out on here , so sad

(Must resist comment about those colonial types commonly found in some oh-so-posh-not-so-posh establishments in Central)

lol this will get interesting. HK is not in Europe so naturally it won't be popular here. but they do appreciate Chinese antiques though. just go to the museums here.

I'm struggling with the idea that you are in China and complaining about having to ship European antiques from Europe.

Even if they wanted European antiques in their shoebox, how many could afford them?

I am more upset I can't get crumpets or Branston Pickle down here.

you will probably get some A graded made-in-china European antique if they start becoming popular! 8-)

Is OP trolling? Surely s/he is...

jayinhongkong likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast