2017/18 Tax Reduction for someone leaving before the end of tax year?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2017/18 Tax Reduction for someone leaving before the end of tax year?

Hi,

My question is related to the "Tax Reduction Measure" which usually gets approved/announced in February of each year. If someone leaves in December 2017, they will need to adjust and clear their taxes for 2017/18 before that date. And since the 2017/18 reduction is not yet announced, does that mean they will not be able to received the reduction? Or will they get the reduction (e.g. 75% up to HKD20,000) back sometime after April 2018?

I've tried calling the IRD, but the person on the phone was not able to answer this question. They simple said I should file the forms and the relevant department will tell me how much I owe.

Thank you **, that is great info. I suppose I just need to ensure I leave an updated mailing address and wait for the automatic adjustment process. I will definitely miss the ultra-efficient tax system here!

If you're leaving HK - you'll need to wrap up taxes before your employer can issue your final pay check. If the govt owes you, you'll be paid back the amount quite efficiently.

Did you manage to get your extra tax refunded? Facing the same issue now.

I was told that any tax reduction or refunds would be mailed to my forwarding address. But this has not happened yet, and I think the 2017/18 tax reduction has not yet been announced.

Ah right, thanks.

Last question - did they say how they will refund the tax? Via cheque to your forwarding address? Considering I do not have a forwarding address yet I can only put in my parents.

Tax is refunded by cheque only to an address you list down on your final tax returns/assessment. I can't wait to get the tax refund as I have paid over 20k for 2017/8.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    If you're leaving HK - you'll need to wrap up taxes before your employer can issue your final pay check. If the govt owes you, you'll be paid back the amount quite efficiently.
    In theory, but not always the case.

waiting for that too

Hi, would appreciate any update if you have received anything. I have tried contacting them via etax but there is no reply even to my etax message of six weeks ago. (Well, the HK govt had generally been pretty efficient for me when I was there so I am still hopeful.)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast