Like Tree90Likes

Relocate to HK with family - where to stay

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Relocate to HK with family - where to stay

We are moving with a 16month baby, a cat and a dog. Looking for a village house or landed house to accomodate our love for space and nature. Our lifestyle is private and outdoors. Also no issue with schooling. Can homecare or send baby to childcare. Budget is 40k/m rent max. We don’t need to be close to malls, amenities or crowd. I wouldn’t mind up to an hour one way commute from central provided I have a comfortable hassle free commute, ie doesn’t need to change, able to sit, read and unwind on bus/train/ferry. Can you please recommend some locations?

Also so if you have information on cost of basic living (excluding rent), Eg food, car, clothing, please share.

thank you dearly in advance!

South Lantau Island

helenstoHK likes this.

Thank you for the tip. We are from Sydney, Australia!

Your initial list of housing requirements is a big ask ... to find a full village house (3 floors, 200m. sq. + rooftop) within an hour's "uncomplicated" commute from Central at 40K per month - might be possible, but don't count on it. South Lantau would tick all the boxes except the uncomplicated commute. I reckon your best bet would be to look at village areas out in the New Territories which are served by express bus routes into Central - although you will probably need to walk a bit to reach the bus stop (we do NOT have commuter car parks here).

I don't know if you've investigated what "villages" are like here - many (most)? are cheek by jowl, often semi-detached, 3-storey concrete boxes, with every scrap of ground concreted over. Maybe you already knew that, but I don't want you having any romantic notions before you arrive. You also need to be aware of dogs (semi-feral in some villages), and the noise of mahjong games, karaoke and Chinese opera ... it can be a lot noisier than living in a unit.

Be aware that there are some nice medium-density residential developments with ecellent facilities and running-around space for children. Some, like Ma Wan and Gold Coast have easy access to still-water beaches and natural parkland, so if you do give up on the village idea you don't have to be surrounded by concrete and 40 floors up.

Childcare here is usually means-tested, for working class families, and all in Chinese. For everyone else, a live-in helper is the way to go if both parents are working.

Give yourselves a 6 month trial without a car. With the public transport here, they honestly can be a lot more trouble than help.

Quote Originally Posted by helenstoHK:
    Have you visited Hong Kong before?

Quote Originally Posted by helenstoHK:
    Try South Lantau. We lived there and loved it. Also had a cat and dog....now 2 dogs plus cat. Home Solutions in Mui Wo deal mostly with expats looking for homes and there is a terrific community both expat and local on South Lantau. You may also like to join the FB forum Mui Wo To Tai O Families to get more answers for your questions. I am also from Australia ( lived in Sydney once but hated it) but have not lived there since a very long time.
    helenstoHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Try South Lantau. We lived there and loved it. Also had a cat and dog....now 2 dogs plus cat. Home Solutions in Mui Wo deal mostly with expats looking for homes and there is a terrific community both expat and local on South Lantau. You may also like to join the FB forum Mui Wo To Tai O Families to get more answers for your questions. I am also from Australia ( lived in Sydney once but hated it) but have not lived there since a very long time.
    thank you. That is very encouraging to hear as we are expecting puppy number 2. Already have a 4yo Border Collie and a 6yo mogie. In parts of western sydney, it is already high density luckily we live in the coastal areas. Our babies love a walk on the beach every now and the so it is something I’m looking for. Will try the FB! Is Home Solutions a landlord’s agent or a renter’s agent? I’ve heard that renters have to pay commission. Is that true?

Yep. My daughter is home cared and that can continue as long as we can get enough space for us all plus a helper. In all likelihood we will move back before she reaches school age..

Yes I’ve been to south Lantau before as a tourist and was impressed with the scenery and free roaming cattles. As long as the neighbours do not blast music all night long, I think we should be fine. As to the concrete, is that the same everywhere or there are exceptions? My dog likes to pee in grass...

Thanks. Very little relocation assistance on offer so I’m counting on myself.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast