Like Tree75Likes

Should I move to HK?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    I agree with both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    Every year there are people that win the lottery, it doesn't make it a sound investment...In my opinion, HK is not a great place to find a permanent mate for a variety of reasons I mentioned earlier and the OP shouldn't come here with high expectations in that department. Too many expats here are male sluts and temptation is everywhere and as pointed out, HK men tend to be somewhat conservative, not great at looking after themselves and often easily intimidated by independent women. There are plenty of examples of women that have found love here but far more that have not. Competition is fierce for ladies. Many married couples that have ended in divorce or had to leave in order to try to save what was left.
    can you specify "not great at looking after themselves", I found that interesting. You think traditional HK males would be intimidated by independent women or just not attracted to independent women? You have such interesting outlook.. I'm intrigued.

I'm sure all things considered Hong Kong guys are not as fat as their American friends. This alone makes the move worthwhile, that is unless you like your man with a nice soft tummy to squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Gababa88:
    I can see your point of view. I had the same experience in NYC, living somewhere with a large population made dating men or vice versa too disposable. This is the truth about my experience. Factor may be related to my age and the level of commitment on my part. I don’t think dating is a priority for me still so I’m not going in thinking that I will get a life partner but mostly for the experience.
    If it's solely for the experience sake and money isn't an object which is even better due to the currency exchange rate being in you favor, I say totally go for it tiger!

All this dating issue and finding the right one for life might be one reason to stay in HK for good (at most), but definitely not one that should have any significant weight to your decision whether you should move/ give it a shot in HK which probably was never in the first place. And even if you find the right one that doesn't necessarily mean you will end up staying in HK for good as few good examples are provided by a certain member here.

Regarding your extra loud ticking inner clock, it must be hard for you especially if your parents are Asian (pending how they were brought up) so there are some pressure. It also doesn't make it any easier living in a society where we are "dictate" what to do/ should be at certain ages, but that's simply life. Either fall in line like others or don't and stand out. Plus, you are as old you feel and Asians tend to have that perk to look relative younger. So, I guess you are good.

You obviously have your own reasons to move to HK and based on the previous information: having lived in many places before and your whatsoever employer, that might be ironically the right time and give you the urge to change your scenery. With all that being said, just go with your guts and if it doesn't end up working for you, you still got plan U S A!

can you specify "not great at looking after themselves", I found that interesting. You think traditional HK males would be intimidated by independent women or just not attracted to independent women? You have such interesting outlook.. I'm intrigued.
    The reality is that many of the kids that are brought up in HK rarely lift a finger in the home because they often have domestic helpers. Combine that with the fact that there are few opportunities for them to be handy with tools and that with long hours at work, people often eat on the run and you have a number of men not great at looking after themselves. Of course, it's not as much of an issue if there's always domestic help. I know several older expats that I wouldn't classify as overly attractive that have met attractive and somewhat wealthy younger HK women with professional jobs that said they found it difficult to find an appropriate mate once they got in their mid to late thirties. Another fact of life is that many HK men will have young ladies in China. Shenzhen and many other Guangdong cities being very convenient to HK makes that not uncommon. There are also thousands of young domestic helpers that are very interested in meeting men especially expats. Competition is fierce and temptation is everywhere. Men also go on trips all around the region in China, Thailand and the Philippines where once again, temptation is everywhere. You need to have trust, not be a jealous woman and have a relatively open mind when you live in a place like HK otherwise it can be upsetting. It's not in your face like in places like Pattaya or Angeles but it's definitely not the same as living in a western city. As a bonus, in HK like Singapore, you don't have to worry as much for your personal safety as you do in the US.
    Skyhook likes this.

You can refer to the these two pages:

https://nursing.hku.hk/people/lecturers
    https://nursing.hku.hk/people/research-faculty

You will find lecturers at 'Teaching Faculty' and Assi. Prof, Asso. prof and prof at the research page. Basically the universities in HK, as they are mostly funded by the government, need to follow certain budget constraints and thereby they would very much rely on different tiers of lecturers, from assistant to senior, to take up the teaching duty. For some faculties, like politics, the line is kind of blur as you will from time to time hear some lecturers in giving opinions on some news. But as for nursing, seems the difference is pretty obvious: lecturers teach a lot more and prof do research. After all, hiring a lecturer is much more affordable for the uni and from what I know, many uni would hire all kind of part time lecturers, some are even called the wandering lecturers, in order to save cost.

So for your case, I am pretty sure the hku position is going to be focusing on the teaching side instead of the research side. And that's gonna affect the salary they offer too. But then, it's also a government requirement on acquiring foreign lecturers/ profs as it helps the unis to be more 'international', so that could be a plus for you.

Gababa88 likes this.

do you mean in lieu of professors they use lecturer or do you mean professors would be a hard position to get by "rarer" ?
    In the UK the vast majority of academics are termed Lecturers. Only a small number go on to become Professors.
    Gababa88 likes this.

do you mean in lieu of professors they use lecturer or do you mean professors would be a hard position to get by "rarer" ?
    Very loosely and depends a bit on the Uni in HK but:

Assistant Lecturer - entry level position - Master good enough
    Lecturer - phd not required but many have
    Senior Lecturer - phd not required but most have
    Associate Professor - phd required
    Professor - phd required
    Gababa88 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    The reality is that many of the kids that are brought up in HK rarely lift a finger in the home because they often have domestic helpers. Combine that with the fact that there are few opportunities for them to be handy with tools and that with long hours at work, people often eat on the run and you have a number of men not great at looking after themselves. Of course, it's not as much of an issue if there's always domestic help. I know several older expats that I wouldn't classify as overly attractive that have met attractive and somewhat wealthy younger HK women with professional jobs that said they found it difficult to find an appropriate mate once they got in their mid to late thirties. Another fact of life is that many HK men will have young ladies in China. Shenzhen and many other Guangdong cities being very convenient to HK makes that not uncommon. There are also thousands of young domestic helpers that are very interested in meeting men especially expats. Competition is fierce and temptation is everywhere. Men also go on trips all around the region in China, Thailand and the Philippines where once again, temptation is everywhere. You need to have trust, not be a jealous woman and have a relatively open mind when you live in a place like HK otherwise it can be upsetting. It's not in your face like in places like Pattaya or Angeles but it's definitely not the same as living in a western city. As a bonus, in HK like Singapore, you don't have to worry as much for your personal safety as you do in the US.
    Cos people don't cheat in the west right

Look men are men and women are women.

The only difference I find is that in HK it's done more in the open (you can actually bumped into someone you know with the wrong women for example) but temptation is everywhere in the world and men screw over the world over. not more or less in HK than in NYC or Paris or Sydney etc etc etc.
    rs4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Very loosely and depends a bit on the Uni in HK but:

Assistant Lecturer - entry level position - Master good enough
    Lecturer - phd not required but many have
    Senior Lecturer - phd not required but most have
    Associate Professor - phd required
    Professor - phd required
    Thanks! These are facts or just your opinion?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast