Like Tree5Likes

The rise and fall of Toys R Us

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The rise and fall of Toys R Us

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/26/toys...y-lost-it.html

I hated the place. The toys were all the same plastic shite, mostly designed to promote the latest Disney movie. There was a distinct lack of creativity and quality for years.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    I hated the place. The toys were all the same plastic shite, mostly designed to promote the latest Disney movie. There was a distinct lack of creativity and quality for years.
    And not even cheap either.

I loved going there as a kid. Highlight of my week even if we didn't buy anything it was good to dream.

I guess its a place kids loved and parents hated.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    I loved going there as a kid. Highlight of my week even if we didn't buy anything it was good to dream.

I guess its a place kids loved and parents hated.
    My youngest was never that keen on the place. Some of her dislike probably came from the way they strictly segregated the toys based on girls like pink & princesses / boys like macho & building stuff crap. The boys stuff was always more interesting.

Before we came to HK we mostly went to a little local shop that had been there since her father was a kid. Full of great stuff like hornby train sets and steam powered vehicles that had been there for decades, ran with a candle and def not health & safety approved. But great fun and she still talks about it, hope it's still open when we visit in summer.

I have a $100 voucher there. Any news on if the HK store is shutting?

Again not every one has the means to buy expensive toys or to go to some specialized shops or to have a mom and pop shops not to far....Toy's R us wasn't the best but it was useful to millions of people.

That need to constantly crap on everything ...

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I have a $100 voucher there. Any news on if the HK store is shutting?
    It's closing globally I believe.

US and UK stores only at the moment.

https://www.cnet.com/news/toys-r-us-...res-shut-down/

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    I remember waiting in line at one of their stores one time to try out Nintendo's latest VR craze.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast