Like Tree28Likes

BBC: Chinese Surveillance Network

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Now I know the real reason you see these people on the beach in China

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...2560765321.jpg

Poorly written article with key details missing. This one is much better. Names, ids, and faces get blurred out. I think it's also just one intersection. Kinda like a test system to evaluate public reactions/opinions.

Jaywalkers' Faces, Info Put Online in Shenzhen – Thatsmags.com
    shri likes this.

Weird use ...

The new system not only limits the amount of toilet paper each visitor can use, but if you are an all-too-frequent visitor to a particular restroom, the machines might just deny you toilet paper.
    https://www.thatsmags.com/beijing/po...-paper-bandits

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Poorly written article with key details missing. This one is much better. Names, ids, and faces get blurred out. I think it's also just one intersection. Kinda like a test system to evaluate public reactions/opinions.

Jaywalkers' Faces, Info Put Online in Shenzhen – Thatsmags.com
    Civil Servant:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...32/745/9cc.gif
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    So innovative. Now they just need to work out the bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    Now I know the real reason you see these people on the beach in China

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...2560765321.jpg
    I see London, I see France, I see...

MY EYES, it burns.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    If anyone deserves this, it is those people who use too much toilet paper and ruin it for the rest of us!

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    There isn't going to be a choice in this. Some high 90s percentage of the population doesn't even know it's happening- this is already rolling out in US and UK airports. I have no idea how widely it's deployed outside of these environments, but if it's not government monitoring that drives it, it will certainly be commercial interests.
    Trying to return to the topic here, in democracies - especially "nonmanipulated" multi-party democracies - the population is likely to have a say at the ballot box.

Now that the existence of shadowy organizations manipulating elections (see the Cambridge Analytica cluster for a prime example) is being exposed, the electorate is paying attention.

European Union's General Data Protection Regulation was finalized two years ago and will take effect across the EU on 25 May 2018. Many countries outside the EU are likely to look at the new EU law and to start adopting at least some of its ideas locally. (The United Kingdom intends to retain the GDPR in its national law even after leaving the European Union)

Under one-party dictatorships where the Party's first and foremost imperative is to stay in power at any cost the subjects won't have any choice though. With full control of the media the regime can and will use emotive weapons like patriotism and fear-mongering to make the population believe that it's all for their protection (and not the regime's).

Hong Kong still has token data and privacy protections, but with the law enforcement, judiciary, all major media and the Legislative Council now under Xi Dada's rule-by-CCP-law, the last nominal protection is Hong Kong's reputation as an international business centre and even that is being fast eroded.

If Hong Kong's regional competitors start adopting more citizen-friendly data and privacy legislations, Hong Kong will become even less attractive as a destination for business and talent. Oh well, it's not like the tycoons or the de facto ruling United Front Work Department want to have too many foreigners here anyway.

Oh come on TB...what's the problem if you've got nothing to hide eh?

https://youtu.be/MI6-2x_R2VM

p.s. I was against automated speeding tickets...then Octopus...trust me, we're fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    If anyone deserves this, it is those people who use too much toilet paper and ruin it for the rest of us!
    Have some pity for those of us with irritable bowels! My pet hate are the bastard's who waste toilet paper drying their hands on it!
    UK/HKboy likes this.