Like Tree71Likes

Poor White People....

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The sad fact is that a majority of us are two to three pay cheques away from being in a similar situation.

If you lost your job today and couldn’t find anything suitable, How long would your savings if you have any last you?

Until April 24th.

Rob2020 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    The sad fact is that a majority of us are two to three pay cheques away from being in a similar situation.

If you lost your job today and couldn’t find anything suitable, How long would your savings if you have any last you?
    I worked in social housing for years in the U.K. and the tumble from normality to homelessness, addiction and criminality can be startlingly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    I worked in social housing for years in the U.K. and the tumble from normality to homelessness, addiction and criminality can be startlingly quick.
    My parents hada friend who worked as an expat in the oil industry most of his life. Big money as you can imagine. Last time I saw him he was living in a homeless hostel, totally dishevelled. I count my blessings..
    SpeakCantonese and Mrs. Jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    My parents hada friend who worked as an expat in the oil industry most of his life. Big money as you can imagine. Last time I saw him he was living in a homeless hostel, totally dishevelled. I count my blessings..
    Alcohol. One pattern I saw repeat itself was alcohol > divorce > increased alcohol > job loss > car/house loss > moral and financial bankruptcy... men and women, but mostly men.
    civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    Alcohol. One pattern I saw repeat itself was alcohol > divorce > increased alcohol > job loss > car/house loss > moral and financial bankruptcy... men and women, but mostly men.
    Yep pretty much but you missed out mistress before the divorce.

Which reminds me of another one. Dad of a friend. Owned a successful garage and a beautiful house with acres of land on the edge of a Thames Valley city. Worth a fortune. Then they built a bypass so his business collapsed, he became an alcoholic, they lost the lot, family fell to pieces, he killed himself.

I clicked on to this thread not knowing where it would go. But I must admit I've been pleasantly surprised by the interesting insights here.

It's so easy to get lost in the standard expat narrative for this town. That's never the full story. Sometimes, you don't know what you don't know.

shri, anandshah, Mat and 2 others like this.

was at admiraty last night around 10pm and saw a caucasian young couple, one holding onto a luggage and the man holding a board that writes "we lost our money". Not sure if its a scam or real. anyone got the story ?

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    was at admiraty last night around 10pm and saw a caucasian young couple, one holding onto a luggage and the man holding a board that writes "we lost our money". Not sure if its a scam or real. anyone got the story ?
    Far too many of them around these days. Beg-Packers. Ignore them and move on....

I thought I wouldn't be spotted in Hung Hom....