Like Tree19Likes

Basic requirements for hiring a full time helper?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Basic requirements for hiring a full time helper?

Hi,

I wanted to know what are the basic requirements to hire a full time helper and how do people normally do it. I live by myself and only need the helper for cooking(one meal a day most days ), cleaning the apartment, ironing etc etc. I have a full time job myself and just don't have the energy and will to cook, clean after work or over the weekends. Is it possible to hire someone cheaper and have them work at other places too?
    I hear that it is illegal? But it is also illegal to hire a part time helper. Also, i live in a tiny 1.5 Bedroom apartment and I don't want the helper staying with me. Is it legal to have them live outside? What if they bring people over while I am working.. I do not want to have strangers over at my place. Do people normally install cameras to check what is happening while they're away?

Any information on this is much appreciated.

You can hire part time helpers legally. They just need to have permanent residence status here, and not be in HK on a helpers visa which doesn't permit them to work for more than one employer.

ERB | Smart Living | Main Page

Pidaras likes this.

Do you want a part time or full time helper?

Part time legal helpers are more expensive. Current domestic helpers looking for extra work are illegal. Some employers will sign a contract for a helper and let them live outside and you'll need to cover their housing and food costs. Also illegal.

Yes you must have a camera and it's unlikely the helper would bring anyone else over.

Pidaras likes this.

In my experience local helpers
    - aren't great at cleaning
    - don't cook
    - don't speak much English

This city is completely set up around FDH, it's ridiculous how difficult it is to find reliable part time help for cleaning, cooking, child care, etc.

HKCouch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Do you want a part time or full time helper?

Part time legal helpers are more expensive. Current domestic helpers looking for extra work are illegal. Some employers will sign a contract for a helper and let them live outside and you'll need to cover their housing and food costs. Also illegal.

Yes you must have a camera and it's unlikely the helper would bring anyone else over.
    Why must you have a camera?

In my experience a long term part time helper is not a v reliable option. They will always give preference to their full time employers which is justified. Plus its not legal. I do not want to get in trouble with the authorities over hiring a part time helper!

I've heard of cases where some maids were doing prostitution in the boss' apartment while the family was at work. OR just inviting some bloke from WanChai over when the family was on vacation. Imagine coming home from vacation and finding the scene that nutcase banker who slaughtered all those women. Or finding body fluids hastily cleaned from your mattress. You need to consider security cams- ones hidden or decoyed as lights etc.. Also a smart lock so if they do not live with you you only allow access at a specific time instead of them having access at any time.

Pidaras likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    I've heard of cases where some maids were doing prostitution in the boss' apartment while the family was at work. OR just inviting some block from WanChai over when the family was on vacation. You need to consider security cams- ones hidden or decoyed as lights etc.. Also a smart lock so if they do not live with you you only allow access at a specific time instead of them having access at any time.
    This can happen whether the helper lives with you or not...

I've heard of cases where some maids were doing prostitution in the boss' apartment while the family was at work. OR just inviting some bloke from WanChai over when the family was on vacation. Imagine coming home from vacation and finding the scene that nutcase banker who slaughtered all those women. Or finding body fluids hastily cleaned from your mattress. You need to consider security cams- ones hidden or decoyed as lights etc.. Also a smart lock so if they do not live with you you only allow access at a specific time instead of them having access at any time.
    I have heard cases where the employer has sexually assaulted the helper, I hope those cameras are also running in the master bedroom at all times. Actually this is a great idea, cameras running throughout the house viewable by an outside agency so that abusive employers can be caught. You can't object to that if you think it is ok to secretly video the helper can you?

Why specifically from Wanchai?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast