Like Tree23Likes

Where to live if commuting to ICC?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Where to live if commuting to ICC?

Hi there,

My husband and I currently live above Kowloon Station which has been great for my husband's early work commute to ICC (needs to get into office by 7am), but the rent for the space has gotten so high we are having to consider options if we can't find anything in the same area.

I did see an old thread for someone commuting to ICC, but wondering if there are any new updates or buildings or transportation options for areas outside of Kowloon Station?

Requirements:
    At least 1000 sqft net space
    45K rent/mo max
    Direct commute to ICC (one bus or shuttle or train ideally, we have no car)
    I work in TST but am okay to do more of a commute/transferring
    Expecting first baby in October (schools/playgroups nearby?)
    2 cats

Would love to be near an area that has easy access to super markets and public transportation. Areas I'm looking into are Olympic Station (heard you have to shuttle to the MTR though?), The Austin, Gold Coast (saw from an old thread but not sure if there is anything newer or closer along that route?), maybe even Sai Ying Pun or Kennedy Town has a direct bus route to ICC?

Any input or experience if you do this commute would be super helpful in narrowing our viewings/search since they seem to be all over the place for just one agent.

Thanks!

Gold Coast would normally be an option, but the first resident bus (to Olympic) goes at 7:05am. Having said that, the 962 runs regularly early in the morning and would take less than half an hour to reach the West Harbour Crossing Bus stop at that time (from there, you need to walk through Elements into ICC, not sure how long it takes but I doubt less than 5 minutes).

GC has all the other things you were looking for - very family friendly and decent accommodation at a range of sizes for sensible rents depending on where you look.

Further into town, you then need a different bus, the 962B, which runs through Sham Tseng - another good options with a lot of accommodation. The route is slightly slower though so the bus will probably take much the same amount of time as the 962 from the GC (which by-passes Sham Tseng by taking the freeway with a peak-hour bus lane).

All of these are coastal, with good access to beaches and hiking; plenty of supermarkets and restaurants (you normally need to go into town for things like clothes or larger household goods though).

hybiscus likes this.

Tsing Yi would meet most of your requirements, but I don't know about cats in Tierra Verde or Villa Esplanada—check with an agent—and other places in Tsing Yi are less convenient for transport.
    Other than that, the morning commute on the Airport Express would be about 9 minutes. For the commute to TST, you would need just one change on the MTR at Lai King. There is an ESF kindergarten, and the area is popular with families.
    [Edit: Sorry, I just realized that the Airport Express morning service officially starts at 7am. I don't know if it would be possible to use it before then. But in any case, the normal MTR would only take 11 minutes, so not too different.]

HK_Katherine and hybiscus like this.

You can probably find something that meets your requirements in Olympic, especially the older less luxury estates. Some have shuttle buses running to the mtr. Then there’s Tung Chung, you can cut your rent in half and great space and facilities for kids. Commute will be 20 minutes to Kowloon Station, you can walk to the mtr in max fifteen minutes or take a shuttle bus. Kennedy Town there is a direct bus, I believe the 904/905 to ICC should take no more than twenty minutes but higher rents than the dark side obviously.

HK_Katherine, hybiscus and MerMer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hybiscus:
    At least 1000 sqft net space
    45K rent/mo max

...Would love to be near an area that has easy access to super markets and public transportation.
    Have a look at The Pacifica or AquaMarine near Cheung Sha Wan. Groceries/food will be cheaper there as it is closer to the container ports compared to your other choices like Gold Coast or Hong Kong Island.

Harbour green in Olympic
    One silversea in Olympic New estate in Nam Cheong (not ready yet)

Be open to 800-1000 sq ft net. Might work depending on the layout (some have smaller kitchens but rest of the home is similar to a 1000' with large kitchen)

hybiscus likes this.

How about The Coronation in Yau Ma Tei? Nice building with facilities.

A 1100 sq ft flat is in the $45K range.

hybiscus and MerMer like this.

Tung Chung seems like a decent option. You'll get that size for below your budget, and it has an ESF kindergarten and playgroup.

ETA: where are you delivering the baby though? That might affect your choices.

TBH, you have signed up 2~3 years ago, and have obviously completed one full lease of the current apartment above elements that got rent hiked.

i am sure by now you would have know roughly how to travel in hk (train/bus/cabs) and where are the regular places people rent at.. kind of surprising to see such a question placed here ?

This is very helpful, thank you! Gold Coast looks so tempting but yes, the resident bus is what I couldn't find using the normal transportation apps. Knowing that is doesn't leave until 7:05 is really helpful. Maybe we can try the route on the 962 and see how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Gold Coast would normally be an option, but the first resident bus (to Olympic) goes at 7:05am. Having said that, the 962 runs regularly early in the morning and would take less than half an hour to reach the West Harbour Crossing Bus stop at that time (from there, you need to walk through Elements into ICC, not sure how long it takes but I doubt less than 5 minutes).

GC has all the other things you were looking for - very family friendly and decent accommodation at a range of sizes for sensible rents depending on where you look.

Further into town, you then need a different bus, the 962B, which runs through Sham Tseng - another good options with a lot of accommodation. The route is slightly slower though so the bus will probably take much the same amount of time as the 962 from the GC (which by-passes Sham Tseng by taking the freeway with a peak-hour bus lane).

All of these are coastal, with good access to beaches and hiking; plenty of supermarkets and restaurants (you normally need to go into town for things like clothes or larger household goods though).
    This is very helpful, thank you! Gold Coast looks so tempting but yes, the resident bus is what I couldn't find using the normal transportation apps. Knowing that is doesn't leave until 7:05 is really helpful. Maybe we can try the route on the 962 and see how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by cetsi:
    Tsing Yi would meet most of your requirements, but I don't know about cats in Tierra Verde or Villa Esplanada—check with an agent—and other places in Tsing Yi are less convenient for transport.
    Other than that, the morning commute on the Airport Express would be about 9 minutes. For the commute to TST, you would need just one change on the MTR at Lai King. There is an ESF kindergarten, and the area is popular with families.
    [Edit: Sorry, I just realized that the Airport Express morning service officially starts at 7am. I don't know if it would be possible to use it before then. But in any case, the normal MTR would only take 11 minutes, so not too different.]
    Thanks a bunch, especially for listing the specific buildings that are easier to commute to. Will specifically look into those.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones:
    You can probably find something that meets your requirements in Olympic, especially the older less luxury estates. Some have shuttle buses running to the mtr. Then there’s Tung Chung, you can cut your rent in half and great space and facilities for kids. Commute will be 20 minutes to Kowloon Station, you can walk to the mtr in max fifteen minutes or take a shuttle bus. Kennedy Town there is a direct bus, I believe the 904/905 to ICC should take no more than twenty minutes but higher rents than the dark side obviously.
    Thanks, will keep an eye out for places that align with routes for the 904/905, for some reason maps route don't show all the options for going to ICC/Elements, not sure why. Great insight.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Harbour green in Olympic
    One silversea in Olympic New estate in Nam Cheong (not ready yet)

Be open to 800-1000 sq ft net. Might work depending on the layout (some have smaller kitchens but rest of the home is similar to a 1000' with large kitchen)
    Thanks! Will add Harbour Green to my shortlist.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast