Like Tree29Likes

Closed shopfronts show impact of e-commerce in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    its all an issue of supply and demand.
    As has clearly been demonstrated by the ridicule of the Land Supply Task force (even the Kuk was asking why their land was not included) there is plenty of land in Hong Kong. The Executive branch is to blame for the shortage. Are you blaming the executive branch?

Original Post Deleted
    Low quality tourist really are bad for HK.
    keieich likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Not that easy - HK Warehousing is also expensive.

Plus last mile logistics in this city. It is cheaper to have something delivered by Royal Mail from the UK than it is to ship the same thing locally via HK Post / SF / TQB. (Stupid global agreements that go back decades...). Same thing for people like iHerb from the US - cheaper for them to use SF than it is for a local delivery (extra capacity on return flights from US).
    i think this is just transitional. the cost for delivery the last mile, whether from UK or originated from HK, is the same. Existing contract makes it cheaper from UK royal mail but sooner or later either those guys go bust, or they smart up and stop subsidizing such money losing businesses.

hk actually has such high density living that delivery last mile should be one of the more efficient process as compared to somewhere like US or australia...
    JAherbert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Very true, but too expensive if you're dealing with 5/10% type margins, unless you have very significant volume.
    fusion supermarket manager in Sai Kung confessed rent is about 900K per month, and that is out in the sticks, you can buy an awful lot of warehouse space for 900k per month

HK is the worst place to shop for anything. Prices with outragous rental costs embeded in and return a and exchange policies that basically "F" the customer and treat him or her as if the shop is doing them a favor. Not every customer is out to scam a shop but you would be lead to beleive that with the no exchange no refund, "F" you just go after we take your money attitude. This goes for large and small shops. Fortress being one of the worst despite their written policy IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    fusion supermarket manager in Sai Kung confessed rent is about 900K per month, and that is out in the sticks, you can buy an awful lot of warehouse space for 900k per month

Nobody disagreed warehouse spacd was cheaper than retail space. The debate was whether it's cheap enough for 5/10% margins
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    HK is the worst place to shop for anything. Prices with outragous rental costs embeded in and return a and exchange policies that basically "F" the customer and treat him or her as if the shop is doing them a favor. .
    No argument from me on those points. Hong Kong in this area, really is stuck in the 1950's.

I grew up with rational/fair customer service in, Australia, thanks to evolving customer protection laws that legally have, VERY sharp teeth, no retailer would feck with it, so they don't. It's AWESOME.

Example...1

about a month ago I bought an aluminium micro Venetian blind for one of my children's bedrooms, and hadnt got around to fitting it till about 3 weeks later. I then discovered that the blind was not quite long enough, which was fine, I popped it in the back of the wagon and drove back to Bunnings Warehouse where i purchased it, and proceeded to the ' returns counter' dropped it off, gave her the last 4 digits of my credit card that I did the original purchase with, was told to go get the right sized blinds, which I did, and by the time I got back the the charge back had been completed ! No fuss, I was sorted out in a matter of minutes, and on my way... No need for a receipt, it really is wonderful.

Example 2.

Same retailer, I purchased a large BBQ and pizza oven, and after assembling it all on my backyard patio area, noticed when I attached the LPG bottle to the hose of the BBQ, that the BSP fitting wouldnt seat properly and was leaking gas, thanks to a perished O-ring that had failed. No problem, I drove down to Bunnings, saw the guy in the BBQ / outdoor living dept, explained what happened and gave him the rubber O-ring, he went away and came back with a couple of new replacements...no receipt required just excellent!

Then there is how one deals with Govt departments, something that HK, I now realise just how primitive and backward they really were/are.

Example 3

I just got my car registration renewal in my inbox from the Queensland dept of transport and roads...Yes thats right, emailed... No snail mail exists here unless you purposely go out of your way to request it. Insurance is done the same way, all done online with no requirement to visit or call or fax paper, as we have vehicle number plate recognition systems, removing the need for rego plate tag labels or windshield stickers/labels, your plate number is all you need.

Im also given access to my license/vehicle details on the govt site, that will alert me if I have been done by a speed camera or any outstanding penalty notice etc..

Mate, it works awesome, so easy. Car insurance is the same, I was issued an electronic full comprehensive car insurance policy via AAMI, online and in my inbox within minutes of hitting the credit card payment option. No need to copy rego certificates or FAX anything lol WHo owns a fax over here ? hahahahahaha

Things really have moved along into the 21st century over here, but Hong Kong seems to enjoy fecking people around, and they're very good at it.

I havent been bothered by a god damn thing since I have been back, it's just so straight forward and simple to go about ones life...LOVE IT lol .
    Last edited by Skyhook; 14-06-2018 at 06:47 AM.
    shri, TheBrit, East_coast and 5 others like this.

But, but, Octopus!

East_coast, tf19 and Stu79 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    But, but, Octopus!
    But nothing lol

Did you know you can tap in and out of Tube stations on the Tube in London ? I found that pretty cool and very handy when i left my Oyster Card in my hotel room...

you wouldn't even need an octopus card if you could just use a Pay Wave credit card...

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    But nothing lol

Did you know you can tap in and out of Tube stations on the Tube in London ? I found that pretty cool and very handy when i left my Oyster Card in my hotel room...

you wouldn't even need an octopus card if you could just use a Pay Wave credit card...
    I think you missed my point. I was agreeing with your sentiment.

What I was trying to say is HK came up with one cool innovative thing 20 years ago, and that's it. It hasn't moved on since then.
    Skyhook and tf19 like this.