Like Tree14Likes

Cathay From Tokyo: Narita or Haneda

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The answer should usually be Haneda, but it depends where in "central Tokyo" they are starting from. In some cases, it may be easier/more comfortable to go to Narita, even if it takes a bit longer.

shri and jonastainine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Whatever you do Shri, dont be cheap and book Vanilla Air or Jetstar that uses the new LCC Terminal 3 at Narita. There's a fucking 700 meter colour coding running track you have to follow to get from the train station (T2) to the new terminal, going up and down around obstacles and through carparks and they even have rest benches and vending machines for you to stop and sit down along the way because it's so fucking far. It's outdoor, non-aircon (but covered walkway) and in the summer they have those mist fans blowing water on you every 100m or so to cool you down. It's a fucking joke for a brand new air terminal. The Japanese really take 'budget carrier' quite literally and have put every effort possible into ensuring you really get a budget experience when using this brand new terminal.

Attachment 74800

Attachment 74801

Attachment 74802

Attachment 74803

Attachment 74804
    Wow! When you said running track I thought it was an exaggerated joke but sure enough the photos cleared that up
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    sheery or scotch u can get it in hk or at destination of flight. but those japanese food stuffs at the shops tend to be less common outside of japan. 8-)
    If you go onto the mezzanine level at Haneda (above the checkin desks) there is a whole "village" selling that stuff. No need to go to Narita

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    If you go onto the mezzanine level at Haneda (above the checkin desks) there is a whole "village" selling that stuff. No need to go to Narita
    Yep, was just going to say the same!

@bdw thanks for that tip. The passenger might be wheel chair bound, and was not aware of the budget situation at Narita

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @bdw thanks for that tip. The passenger might be wheel chair bound, and was not aware of the budget situation at Narita
    No worries. It is only Jetstar and Vanilla air that use this new LCC Terminal 3. HK Express still uses the 'normal' terminal and they also fly to Haneda as well which is a great option. This running track does go up and down a few times but there are elevators so those with wheelchairs and luggage etc can still get there in the end

But it does amaze me they have built this brand new terminal and then it's as if some genius has thought "fuck building any decent transport access. Lets just build a running track through the carpark". It really is a running track complete with the soft surface etc. Pictures are the only way to describe it.

Name:  Narita-Terminal-3-1-1024x683.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  175.5 KB

Name:  02oct16-006-japan-kanto-tokyo-chiba-narita-international-airport-terminal-3-nrt-lcc-budget.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  309.4 KB

Name:  15G100999_02_880x660.jpg
Size:  522.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    let me check that out. anyway last few trips i have made was in haneda, out narita.. i think that ticket option is cheaper compared to haneda in and out.. see what i get the next time i go flying in from hk

Original Post Deleted
    It wasn't that large (nor an international airport) for a long while. we had to use narita during the time i was living in japan and it was a terrible experience.
    1.5 hours one way journey (before narita express was built) provided the roads are not congested.
    Imagine the largest international airport of the world 2nd largest economy closing at 10pm at night.... The airport (narita) didn't even have much DFS type of shops, so once you step in there just two little shops and rows and rows of chairs... so there you have 2 hours to burnt and nothing to do.

Yeah lets completely ignore the very well signposted free shuttle bus that runs from the exit of Terminal 2 to the door of Terminal 3 - both with escalator and lift access. And wow - also between Terminal 1 and 2!

Yeah - that doesn't exist and run every 3-5 minutes FFS.

https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/access/shuttlebus

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    No worries. It is only Jetstar and Vanilla air that use this new LCC Terminal 3. HK Express still uses the 'normal' terminal and they also fly to Haneda as well which is a great option. This running track does go up and down a few times but there are elevators so those with wheelchairs and luggage etc can still get there in the end

But it does amaze me they have built this brand new terminal and then it's as if some genius has thought "fuck building any decent transport access. Lets just build a running track through the carpark". It really is a running track complete with the soft surface etc. Pictures are the only way to describe it.

Name:  Narita-Terminal-3-1-1024x683.jpg
Size:  175.5 KB

Name:  02oct16-006-japan-kanto-tokyo-chiba-narita-international-airport-terminal-3-nrt-lcc-budget.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  309.4 KB

Name:  15G100999_02_880x660.jpg
Size:  522.5 KB

I take the Keisei from Narita to Ueno which is quite cheap at 1080 yen and also stay in the Ueno area anyway for the cheap accommodations. Haneda is closer of course but generally more expensive and few flight options.