Like Tree8Likes

Basketball World Cup Qualifier: Brawl between Australia & Philippines

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tom007:
    I can see both teams being banned for an extended period. I very much doubt the world cup will be changed, too much money involved.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    That's fine... But world cup?
    I don't understand your point. 213 national federations, professional leagues in many countries. Why would there not be a world cup?

Hullexile, the Civil_Servant of the Philippines ))

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Hullexile, the Civil_Servant of the Philippines ))
    Please try to stay on topic and argue based on facts rather than snide remarks. Mat the French The Brit

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Don't know why it is an "extraordinary claim", it is on video.
    The coach of the Philippines basketball team involved in a sickening brawl with Australia overnight has extraordinarily accused Boomers star Daniel Kickert of attacking his players before the game even started.
    Is this pre-game attack on the Filipino players on video? I have not seen it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Is this pre-game attack on the Filipino players on video? I have not seen it anywhere.
    I saw it on TV, this is all I can find with a quick search on Youtube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KNi8nf4Urh4
    bdw likes this.

I don't understand your point. 213 national federations, professional leagues in many countries. Why would there not be a world cup?
    World Cup just sounds particularly weird for basketball to me for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    World Cup just sounds particularly weird for basketball to me for some reason.
    Well there is a cricket world cup, a sport only played by England and its ex colonies, a rugby world cup, played by a limited number of countries. Not really into basketball though there are two channels dedicated to it here but I don't understand why not a basketball world cup. It is an olympic sport afterall. Isn't there a baseball world cup?

The elbow from Kickert was outrageous.

The incident that lead to all of this actually happened the day before. The Australian delegation objected to sponsors stickers on the court, arguing they were slippery. They had however been approved by FIBA (the international body). When no one else was in the stadium they attempted to scratch the stickers off, in doing so damaging the court surface. Australia apologised and FIBA ordered the stickers replaced. So tensions were really high before the match.
    I’m with you... watch the video without the Aussie commentary.... Kickert was the instigator imo... then the Philippines went way too far...
    hullexile likes this.