73 33.80%
  • HK is my Home, will stay forever

27 12.50%
Like Tree539Likes

[Poll] Stay or Leave Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    A number of people we know, from Geo and our social circles have made their money, packed up and left over the last 3 years. Their moves seem to be timed with 1) getting residency sorted in the UK (home uni fees) or 2) made enough money in HK and kids leaving the nest / finding jobs.

For us, HK is home, but to appreciate it we need to leave for a few months/year or so, which may be timed around winning a 30M+ Mark Six round. Hopefully tonight.
    Crap is mark6 $30 million tonight? I missed it!

Who is the lost soul that voted to stay forever? It's not too late yet, you can still get out.

MerMer and Edwardstorm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Who is the lost soul that voted to stay forever? It's not too late yet, you can still get out.
    East_coast, selling cardboard boxes at age 80.

Here's my plan. Wait until I turn 65, get obscenely obese, move to Manila, find 30 year old GF, eat at Bubba Gump every day.

Original Post Deleted
    I'm only 61!

I thought we would be here for a long while or even call it home, but lately hasn't been great times. The partner is getting quite burnt out commuting each day from one of the greener areas and one of the only areas I could tolerate living in (with it's own share of problems/frustrations). But it wouldn't be possible to have a half-decent lifestyle without that kind of job, meaning I could never take over as the breadwinner. I could get double the quality of life for half the price in other countries, which would be far more reasonable if one of us is going to seriously cut back on work/hours. Factor in that there is no fixed social network in a society that highly values family structures (which we don't have here)... on top of dwindling (easy) job prospects that I once had on arrival, when any door I could imagine would be open to me (instead, I don't even get invited to job interviews and have to yet again continue beefing up my qualifications). And in "free time" entertainment has dwindled as well, as every trail and corner has been explored, making it really difficult to come up with something interesting and novel to do on weekends (especially something that doesn't involve dreadful hour-long queues for buses). Trying to settle and make/buy a home here would be too much of a financial risk, and it's not a place where you can take a quieter pace of life while still affording costs of living. And in the last 6 years we've watched quite some political changes that are disconcerting about future freedom and quality of life, all while the bureaucratic clowns can't get basic things fixed like proper rubbish/recycling bins.

So yes, one more year to make some very serious decisions, and we hope we don't get too burnt out before the next visa renewal. I've been keeping tabs on what others are saying. If there were indeed a magical place that ticked a lot of boxes of what we think we want in the future, I think we would indeed be pinning down exit dates. Let's see what the next year holds and if there may be some unexpected positive changes. Perhaps I wouldn't mind staying longer, but financially it just isn't reasonable, and it's not financially reasonable, because it just isn't mentally reasonable to go through an 8-8 day every day, day in and out.

To be honest, lately has been our roughest time in Hong Kong. Really not sure if it's just a bad phase or if it's a sign it's time to go.

(Saying this after having just come back from Europe, where they finish work at 5 and they have double the living space! And goddamnit people just lack manners here!!!)

Last edited by Elegiaque; 05-07-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Even though I can legally work and fully integrate into 12 of the top 20 cities on the Mercer Quality of Living Survey due to my language skills and I would enjoy excellent career prospects in each of them, I have no plan at the moment. My wife and I and our two sons really enjoy Hong Kong. It's one cool place.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    I was hovering over 'HK is my Home, will stay forever', but instead chose 'No plan at the moment'. A few years ago, maybe I would have chosen the last option. Things are changing, generally for the worse, and I don't see things getting any better. But, I have no idea where to go.
    I think this is a good summary of where we are in the world right now. Easy to complain about where you are. Not that easy to come up with something that is a realistic, better option.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I'm only 61!
    That's why we call you Precocious Hull. Disclaimer: No one actually calls you that.

What are we going to do tonight, Brain? Narf!

The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Weigh all the pros and cons about living in Hong Kong but still continue on our present course until next year.

Name:  pinkyandthebrain-625x350.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  67.7 KB

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast