Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By surgeshort

Laser eye surgery in Hong Kong - where can I get *wavefront guided* LASIK?

Closed Thread

Question Laser eye surgery in Hong Kong - where can I get *wavefront guided* LASIK?

Hi all,

I've decided to get my eyesight fixed at one of Hong Kong's clinics. Having done quite a bit of reading on and off this forum the two obvious choices seem to be:

• ReLEx SMILE surgery at Hong Kong Laser Eye clinic
    • Wavefront LASIK surgery at HKSH (Sanatorium) in Pacific Place, Admiralty

Whilst the newest technology appears to be SMILE I've read that it doesn't provide the benefits of a wavefront *guided* (WFG) procedure i.e. measuring and correcting additional optical aberrations in the eye. I value this more than some of the supposed benefits of SMILE.

I know that both of the above clinics provide wavefront optimised (WFO) LASIK but I can't tell from the brochures if HKSH offer the more comprehensive WFG option. HKlasereye have told me up front that they do not. I suspect that HKSH do but they won't tell me more than is in the brochures without committing to a $1000+ examination

It would be great if someone who's been through the process at HKSH in the recent past could confirm if this was one of the treatments made available to them! Thank you

Hi, just stumbled on your post. I'm in a similar dilemma on Smile or WFG. Any updates on what you found out since Sept17? I'd be keen to know. Thanks!

I’d also love input on this! What have people found?

Just my two cents here as I recently went through LASIK at HSH in Pacific Place, and I kinda wish somebody would've explained everything to me:

Doctor: I would *highly* recommend you choose Dr. John Chang So-Min as he is the top doctor in town at arguably the top place to do LASIK in-town. From what I understand, Dr. John Chang So-Min has the highest caseload volume for LASIK. Other LASIK doctors also choose Dr. John for their own LASIK procedures, so that probably also tells you quite a lot. He speaks perfect English FYI.

Wavefront: Yes, I think it should be Wavfront. I had LASIK and took the Wavefront Aberrometry test ($410), so it's likely Wavefront.

SMILE vs. LASIK vs. PRK vs. LASEK: I asked Dr. John and he advised that I should undertake LASIK as my prescription was in the low-end. For SMILE, Dr. John seemd to hint that this was for patients who had higher prescriptions, but again, I would make sure you speak with him to get an initial consult. One more thing — SMILE is only about ten years old, and there's not a lot of published research out there regarding side effects, etc. so I'm not sure if SMILE's risk-reward is attractive enough for you to choose over LASIK for an arguably cosmetic procedure.

Operations:
    Dr. John does operations on Tuesdays / Thursdays. I would try to angle for Thursday since you need to check-up on Friday and you can take Saturday / Sunday off to recover.

Costing:
    If you select your doctor, it's an additional $7k, so the total should be around $30k. If you use the computer to randomly select your doctor it should be around $22k. I just felt that the premia of selecting the best doctor, in my opinion, was worth the extra $7k IMO.

Side Effects:
    I don't have dry eyes, but do have some minor halos when at night.

Global Disclosures:

The above is for educational purposes only. The opinion above does not constitute medical advice. For medical advice, please consult a medical professional.
    I ("surgeshort") shall not be responsible for any consequential effect, nor be liable for any direct, consequential, incidental, indirect loss or damage, howsoever caused, arising from the use of, inability to use or reliance upon any information or materials provided above, whether or not such loss or damage is caused by the opinion expressed above.

Last edited by surgeshort; 15-07-2018 at 12:17 AM.
    kayaker99 likes this.

Thumbs up LASIK OPTIONS

WOW - THANK YOU for your detailed response. I think I too will pay the extra to ensure I get Dr John. Great info. Veeeery much appreciated. X

I sent my reply to you below - your detailed information is veeery much appreciated. XXXIt's quite a scary thing to decide to do and you gotta get it right!!!