Like Tree135Likes

Children’s books with LGBTQ themes disappear from shelves at Hong Kong libraries

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    The main argument from the lobby group seems to be that things such as theft, murder and homosexuaity shouldn't be seen as being normal and accepted activities in kids books.

Is this what the one poster meant when advocating 'normal'?
    So all pirate books are out then? Stupidity and intolerance have no limits.
    East_coast and spode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    So all pirate books are out then? Stupidity and intolerance have no limits.
    Unfortunately you are wrong. Next they are targeting books that depict unmarried male / female couples raising kids.

Just a point... I believe in gay marriage but I hate the way the politically correct fuck about with language.

'Normal' has become a weapon... "WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY NORMAL!!! "...

Well I know what 'normal' means and it doesn't mean 'gay marriage' or 'transexual'... these things aren't normal by the conventional meaning of the word....

So we're supposed to celebrate 'diversity' and 'minorities' because they are 'normal'... it's nonsense. Just use words properly then maybe everyone can be clear what the hell everyone else is on about.

orel100x and R.O. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    Well I know what 'normal' means and it doesn't mean 'gay marriage' or 'transexual'... these things aren't normal by the conventional meaning of the word....
    Perhaps if you used common and less common rather than normal and the antonym of normal.

I would suggest (you can slide the time frame around based on your age / social references)

Pre-1970's - Taboo
    1970's Normal / Abnormal
    1990's Conventional / Unconventional
    2010's Common / Less common

Also I think celebrate is the wrong word. Hopefully we get to a stage where we don't really notice the less common things as they have been presented as normal from a very young age.
    spode, R.O. and Gatts like this.

Perhaps if you used common and less common rather than normal and the antonym of normal.

I would suggest (you can slide the time frame around based on your age / social references)

Pre-1970's - Taboo
    1970's Normal / Abnormal
    1990's Conventional / Unconventional
    2010's Common / Less common

Also I think celebrate is the wrong word. Hopefully we get to a stage where we don't really notice the less common things as they have been presented as normal from a very young age.
    No. You're always going to get that large percentage of people who know how to read a dictionary.

Psst... You know that Easty character? Between you and me, I think he's normal.

Imagining that children won't notice men masquerading as women or, as soon as they know where babies come from wondering why when they see two guys married.

Just teach them that it's ok... lying and saying it's normal is just odd.
    Last edited by SpeakCantonese; 25-06-2018 at 09:30 PM.

No. You're always going to get that large percentage of people who know how to read a dictionary.
    Yes. That is the point. The dictionary doesn't say parents must be biological related of a particular gender etc. A parent is a parent.

Imagining that children won't notice men dressed as women
    Why not it happens. Isn't it better that your children know that some people prefer a transgender lifestyle but it isn't that common.

Imagining that children won't know where babies come from wondering why when they see two guys married.
    There are many ways for a person to become a parent. Obviously the most common is through copulation and childbirth. But parent is a gender neutral term. Again know that same sex parenting is less common would stop the child 'wondering'.

Just teach them that it's ok... lying and saying it's normal is just odd.
    Are you suggesting that transgender, transexual or same sex parenting are odd (odd carries negative connotations as in wrong) or just less common.
    Last edited by East_coast; 27-06-2018 at 08:39 AM.
    spode and Gatts like this.

I suspect it is a technique to keep the patient's mind off the issue at hand.
    Same technique used on forums, by some of the usual suspects.
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Same technique used on forums, by some of the usual suspects.
    Except the chats were interesting
    spode likes this.

A society / country / culture don't always progress. We are seeing complacency growing with ignorance in HK as the city accumulate more wealth.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9