Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By emx
  • 1 Post By MABinPengChau
  • 1 Post By Fiona in HKG

Parking space for bicycles

Closed Thread

Parking space for bicycles

Hello, are there usually parking spaces around condos in DB? Wondering if I should ship our bicycles to HK from US,or i should just sell them and buy scooters on arrival, as the indoor space seems to be limited....

Quote Originally Posted by Catsy18:
    Hello, are there usually parking spaces around condos in DB? Wondering if I should ship our bicycles to HK from US,or i should just sell them and buy scooters on arrival, as the indoor space seems to be limited....
    Depends what you want to use the bikes for, are you planning to ride them to the ferry and back or just ride around DB? There is lots of vehicle traffic to deal with, buses, golf carts and commercial vans.

Push scooters wont be much fun going up the hills!
    Catsy18 likes this.

We just want to use bicycles for leisure ridings... same with the scooters. Just fun, exercise...

I'm a bike person so I would recommend bikes, there are some bike lanes on the main roads- also you can take the bikes on the ferry to Peng Chau and Mui Wo and ride around a bit-I find when it's hot that it is still not bad riding a bicycle with the breeze. The low rise building seems to have bike space, not sure about the high rises or how strict they are if you leave your bike out.

That said, think about the cost of shipping- if you are already bringing a container/part of a container so no extra money, then fine, otherwise, might just be cheaper to buy some cheap bikes/scooters when you arrive- depends on whether your current bikes are high end or not...I just have an inexpensive (HK 1800) bike, many are available. Lots of scooters around for sale as well.

Catsy18 likes this.

I'm in a high-rise with no bike parking or securing bays outside and you cannot leave anything in the main lobby. Don't think of leaving in the hallway outside your apartment either, they won't let you in most buildings due to narrow corridors and fire escape access.

Also the comment about theft is accurate, especially for nice bikes. Though there seemed to be a spate of those a few years back but haven't heard anything recently, maybe the expensive ones have been taken indoors.

Catsy18 likes this.

Thank you to everyone. Very very useful information.