Like Tree1Likes

Where to get new tires?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to get new tires?

Any experience or recommendations for a reliable tire shop who are fairly priced and have a good selection of different brands? Preferably anywhere in Kowloon or New Territories.

Too many shops out there. Compare prices. The Korean brands are value for money.

I suggest you select a brand/model you want and compare some prices.

size? if you have big SUV not all shops keep large tyres in stock, they need to a day or two to order.

Looking for 195/55R16 low rolling resistance rubber. The whole purpose of this thread was to avoid going around shop to shop across different districts. That's still manageable if the shops are clumped together but doing that in 3-5 different districts is just not doable, hence asking if car owners have any recommendations on places they go to.

I used these guys a lot before in Kwun Tong https://goo.gl/maps/4EVzTgmSyKS2

To the left and right side of this shop is a few more tyre shops you can go walk around and ask prices to compare if you want.

Thanks for the contacts. How much should I be looking to pay per tire? Just want to get a ballpark idea so that I know that I'm not being ripped off. A couple of shops I visited asked for 900-1100 depending on tire size and model. Is that about right or on the higher side? Also, do the old ones have any trade-in value or they just get chucked?

Quote Originally Posted by eterrestrial32:
    Looking for 195/55R16...

A couple of shops I visited asked for 900-1100 depending on tire size and model.
    I suggest you just ask for the size you need and not various sizes. For the brand I would go for the cheapest that isn't from China. Korea is next cheapest and fine.

Tyre shops are everywhere. A bigger one is more likely to have rare sizes (no idea how common yours is). Really no need to check different districts.

I drive around 20k km every year so wouldn't want to go with something that I don't trust. Preferably want to stick with big brands like Bridgestone, Yokohama, Continental, Michelin, Pirelli or GoodYear, most of which I've used in the past and have been reasonably satisfied with. I know there are a whole bunch of other brands coming up as well but with the kind of rainy weather HK gets, I wouldn't want to risk highway driving with something that doesn't feel planted.

By Korean, I'm assuming you mean Hankook, Kumho and Nexen? I've heard mixed reviews about Hankook and Kumho. Will see if there is anything interesting at the shops.

Thanks for the contacts. How much should I be looking to pay per tire? Just want to get a ballpark idea so that I know that I'm not being ripped off. A couple of shops I visited asked for 900-1100 depending on tire size and model. Is that about right or on the higher side? Also, do the old ones have any trade-in value or they just get chucked?
    900-1100 sounds reasonable for major brand name tires in that size.
    Check tire manufacturing year so you're not getting 4 years old "new" tires

And yes, you WILL get differences with major brand names vs Nankang or Malaysian tires.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast