Like Tree65Likes

Accidental Landlord in New Territories

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    No. Because all expats live on HK island and work in central. That would be a too long rickshaw ride. Taking a sanpan to HK Island is trouble too
    Funny!!! Though there is a saying about truth said in jest ... FlameProof , thsnks for the encouragement , but you are the minority. I'm feeling from the responses , NT is for the insane hardcore , but not the typical XP.

Quote Originally Posted by bargfeldstegen:
    I have lived in Yuen Long before for several years. get these looks when you say you live there ("Waah... so far!" etc.).

Also, the trend is to move closer to work, as the saying goes: "A short commute is the new backyard".
    Hey Bargfeldsregen - You are few. For the many I guess reputation, status , postcode and particularly *face* has passed on to expats. You want to tell people in the club house you live on the Peak, not shanty town NT! Here's to us, championing real HK. Not plastic fsntastic.

HK_K
    again you are the few - i'm hearing you loud and clear. 'Typical' XPs will not come however we spin it. !

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Tango:
    Hey Bargfeldsregen - You are few. For the many I guess reputation, status , postcode and particularly *face* has passed on to expats. You want to tell people in the club house you live on the Peak, not shanty town NT! Here's to us, championing real HK. Not plastic fsntastic.
    You asked the question will expats live in NT, then when people said they did or would you argue typical expats wouldn't. Why ask the question?
    juanalias likes this.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I would hardly call you an "accidental" landlord -- you're obviously taking advantage of a very weird, very unfair law
    WoW Elegiaque, you started off really chippy, but thankfully calmed down at the end with some good advice on the agents or advertise here.

I bet you are loads of fun drunk, would be interesting to chew the phat , hear your thoughts on the unfair laws of the world. But sorry , so sorry but I can't change my indigenous status, you might need to blame my Great Great Grandfather for that and his son's son's sons... for all being pesant farmers, for the British for winning the Opium War and creating a global power-house of a city and un-capped hyper capitalism , international migration and most sadly lost identities. Maybe Hong Kong is finding it self , maybe its feeling guilty - It's given a lot to her pay Masters (yes her, HK is female, ironic) Maybe she's just reminiscing , the world was a better time once, if the pesant farmers will return and be at peace again... 'Rose Bud'... All in all, i wouldn't associate myself with the world privileged. But I agree, as Master OogWay says - 'There's no such thing as an accident ...' it's sweat and blood and a bit of good fortune - but 'never stare at someone elses rice bowl' and yes Im proudly indiginous to the bone, with my Hakka roots, I don't even have a western name

And like you, I've never knowingly broken any serious laws in my life...

But thanks for the advice.
    rs4, Kowloon Goon and Rob2020 like this.

Yup, its hardcore, some open drains still here. Not for the faint hearted.

Hey Hullexile, the context was up the thread. Was agreeing with Bargfeldsregen's quote.

Lots of good points JGL. I tend to agree, if you want the hussle of HK then why avoid it, its the reason why you stay/remain. I wouldn't live in Croydon if you paid me. About the build, was only suggesting locals v expat location - not internal design. However my local builder suggested open plan diner kitchen more expat and locsls prefer closed off kitchen..? Discuss...
    I thought the closed kitchen design (which is utterly awful) was due to fire regulations... certainly expats prefer better designed kitchens!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I thought the closed kitchen design (which is utterly awful) was due to fire regulations... certainly expats prefer better designed kitchens!
    Hm, you could be on to something there. Google comes up with some requirement on having detectors and sprinklers installed for open kitchens. I seriously doubt that many people bother with sprinklers in residential environments.

It's not about face. it's about hard earn $.I live in the NT. Obviously if my salary was x10, I'd live on the Peak.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast