Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By AmRa6
  • 1 Post By imenough

Looking for someone with an American accent

Closed Thread

Red face Looking for someone with an American accent

Hi I am a 32 year-old Korean woman. My English is pretty good but I am looking for someone with an american accent who can help me perfect my American English accent. In return, I can teach you Korean or treat you with some nice food PM me if interested.

Tons of different accents in the states. Which kind are you looking for? FYI, Chicago area accent is considered official American accent.

Hi, I am a Korean American! And I need to improve my Korean. Maybe we can help each other out? We can do some language exchange

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    FYI, Chicago area accent is considered official American accent.
    This doesn't sound right, I've never heard of an "official" American accent. Do you have a source for this?

Quote Originally Posted by bjpark999:
    Hi, I am a Korean American! And I need to improve my Korean. Maybe we can help each other out? We can do some language exchange
    Hi, finally a reply that I have been looking for! (didn't expect my post would create a lot of debates on accents haha)
    I will PM you my number, let's talk
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by madal1:
    This doesn't sound right, I've never heard of an "official" American accent. Do you have a source for this?
    Should have put double quotes on it. I think either one of my high school teacher or undergraduate professor said this in class. Reason been the area is geographically located in the middle.

Wink

Grumbler is right but a bit outdated.

In the UK there is the Queen's English. In the US there is the President's English.

While Obama was President, the Chicago accent was considered official as that is where Obama was from.
    Currently a New York accent is considered official as Trump is from New York.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    Tons of different accents in the states. Which kind are you looking for? FYI, Chicago area accent is considered official American accent.
    There's a specific Chicago accent which is *not* a standard American sound, even though the standard American "newscaster" accent is midwestern and Chicago is in the midwest. (Think Dan Ackroyd in Blues Brothers). But you'll get a lot of fairly consistent accents from folks who are from the midwest or the western states, even California once you get past the word choice which differs there. just avoid people like me, from the major East Coast cities, or the tens of millions of folks with southern accents.