Like Tree16Likes

What's the deal with HKJC, their monopoly and their lousy odds?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka_Tonic:
    Of course the Government gave them the monopoly but they are throwing dust in the government's eyes with their charity work and dust into the public's eyes with calling it a nonprofit organization. There's no way it's nonprofit and it's time people wake up.
    You seem to be under the impression that any of this surprising to others. It's really not surprising at all, this is simply typical of HK.

There's no way it's nonprofit and it's time people wake up.
    Once again, you obviously don't understand the meaning of non profit. It does not mean you are not supposed to make money as an organization. You need to educate yourself a bit before ranting...

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    Once again, you obviously don't understand the meaning of non profit. It does not mean you are not supposed to make money as an organization. You need to educate yourself a bit before ranting...
    You have some preconceived notions about my understanding of nonprofit which you have repeated like a child who didn't get attention the first time. You don't need to reply if my post offends you.

You have some preconceived notions about my understanding of nonprofit which you have repeated like a child who didn't get attention the first time. You don't need to reply if my post offends you.
    You just don't get it, do you?

Golem is right.

As I said in post 5, you are clearly confused about what non-profit means. I agree HKJC is a monopoly and exploits punters. You don't need to gamble though so of all the issues in HK this one ranks very low for me. Just think of it as a charity donation combined with a voluntary tax.

The people running the organization are minting money. If it was just a charity donation with a voluntary tax, their accounts would be made available to public. Don't be naive.

The people running the organization are minting money. If it was just a charity donation with a voluntary tax, their accounts would be made available to public. Don't be naive.
    How much are they minting (excluding tax and charitable spending)?

Their accounts are made available to the public.

http://corporate.hkjc.com/corporate/...Statistics.pdf
    hullexile likes this.

It really is justy bad governance that is a result of a policy vacuum stuck since the 1980's

Three steps should be taken

1) Deregulation
    Allow 4-5 more franchises to operate in the city and allow more areas to have gambling - What would be the odds for a Pan-Democrat to be CE in the next 27 years?

2) Separate operations from Gambling
    HongKong loves a government sanctioned monopoly to gouge the public. The operations side of the HKJC should be seperated from the the gampling side. All gambling in the city should pay into a fund for running horse races and dealing with gambling addiction

3) Legalise off-shore betting
    But enfocre the same level of taxation for bets placed in Hong Kong. (as the UK does)

Again the HKJC has a government sanctyioned monopoly from an administration that loves the simplicity of rent seeking monopolies rather than systems that make the city more efficient and innovative. Reform could stop tax losses from oevrseas gambling and hopefully make HK a offshore gambling hub thningy generating even more cash imported cash.

https://www.ft.com/content/9d732a4e-...b-e7eb37a6aa8e

Also the HKJC should be restructured as the club seems to give to many benefits to the wealthy while just taking money from the poor. The money should not be treated as a slush fund for the executrive branch to look good but go into general taxation. This would further benefit the city.

I am sure a pro-authoritatrian poster will explain why the current system is so good.

This reminds me of a classic thread from elsewhere on the internet. Here's a summary, but the original thread is well worth reading.

Bodybuilders Try, Fail, to Calculate Number of Days in a Week