Like Tree7Likes

TaoBao language barrier

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question TaoBao language barrier

Hi all.
    Is it possible to change the language format on the TaoBao wesbite or app to english?
    I was advised to check it out, however I can't understand a word on the page.

you'll have to use an intermediary who supports english, may be worth checking if the product sells on other platforms too. many vendors sell across others like amazon, rakuten, wish etc

If you search "Taobao in English" intermediaries pop up like Taobao focus and some other sites. I haven't used them so not sure how good they are.

Most people just copy and paste to/from Google translate, slower but gets the job done.

Maybe use Taobao focus to shop around then just order on the main website.

Then there is always "ask a coworker to order for you" the ultimate cop-out way of ordering.

But for English shopping and quick delivery, HKTV Mall can satisfy certain needs, particularly food.

Try using Chrome as your browser and set it up to automatically translate. It's not perfect but it helps. I find that with that, I can get to about 80% of the way through a purchase and then often need a chinese speaking co-worker to help with the final bit.

dwarvenmage18 and flameproof like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Most people just copy and paste to/from Google translate, slower but gets the job done.
    I just right click on a page and "translate to english" and the whole site becomes english. No need copy and paste to/from google
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    I just right click on a page and "translate to english" and the whole site becomes english. No need copy and paste to/from google
    Not all browsers have that capability. If he browser doesn't, then it explains why some people copy/paste. Hence my comment above about Chrome.
    Rob2020 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Huh..did not know...mostly when I have looked at Taobao I just pasted in some product from Google translate and looked at the results, can read some basic Chinese from my years of studying Japanese.

Sounds like I need to use Chrome then...using a Mac mostly with its own "Safari" browser, not my favorite.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dwarvenmage18:
    Hi all.
    Is it possible to change the language format on the TaoBao wesbite or app to english?
    No. There is no English language option.

I suggest you ask somebody with Chinese reading skills (or better, with Taobao skills) to help you to setup your ID and the payment gateway. Then to setup a shipping agent, like Topexpress.

Takes a bit of an effort, but totally worth it.

After a few purchases you know blindfolded where to click.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Try using Chrome as your browser and set it up to automatically translate. It's not perfect but it helps. I find that with that, I can get to about 80% of the way through a purchase and then often need a chinese speaking co-worker to help with the final bit.
    Co-worker might be difficult, I suspect he may be a child.
    jgl likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast