Like Tree315Likes

Driving from HK to Macau - HK-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge

Closed Thread
Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 ... LastLast

Okay, on the face of it it seems then opening up the bridge enabled people from the other side of the delta(its not a bay despite what the gov says) to load up on hk goods. Tung Chung will be transformed to Sheung shui.

Kind of depressing if you think about it. It is a middle class suburb, many of those living there own their apartments and now their neighbourhood is being transformed in to one catering for parallel traders, at the expense of the local people.

Gatts and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Milk formula, bags, scarves, shoes etc etc etc
    That's evil. How dare they engage in the same behaviour that Canadians living close to the US border engage in? Or the Swiss near the German border.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    That's evil. How dare they engage in the same behaviour that Canadians living close to the US border engage in? Or the Swiss near the German border.
    Its terrible, terrible I tell you.

Maybe we should build a wall to stop the hordes from coming

Hemlock as usual on the money on this clusterf**k:

On this weekend’s episode of ‘Mainlandize Yourself Tonight’… | Big Lychee, Various Sectors

We take your money to build white-elephant projects, and in return we swamp you with people. Tung Chung – the town that makes Tin Shui Wai look fun and hip – is inundated, or you could say ‘aggrieved’, with package tourists coming over on the Zhuhai bridge. And the critics said no-one would use the thing…

Here’s a first-hand report on using the bridge to and from Macau. Basically, if you want the journey to take a leisurely (if you can read Chinese or Portuguese signage) three hours rather than the mere one it takes on the ferry, it’s great.

The author remarks that ‘you have to leave the bus twice for passport checks at either end of the bridge’. At the border-boundary with Shenzhen, of course, you also go through two immigration inspections, but they are just a minute’s walk apart in the same virtually seamless building complex. So if you are changing buses, you do so once. On the ferry (as on an aircraft), you go through the checks in terminals at each end of the journey.

The Zhuhai Bridge’s immigration checks emulate an air/sea transport pattern rather than a land-crossing one. That is, after leaving your home you (probably) go bus-immigration-plane/ferry/bridge-immigration-bus to (say) your hotel.

The obvious solution would have been to have a three-way immigration hall combining the Mainland, Macau and Hong Kong checkpoints in one architecturally impressive triangular facility. As illustrated in this rather elegant diagram…

My hunch is that officials insisted on the ‘stupid’ option for symbolic rather than practical or technical reasons. The ‘sensible’ arrangement would have given Hong Kong jurisdiction over most of the highway – when the whole point is to jam simplified-character road-signs and other Mainland stuff right in the city’s face. Because 50,000 people buying milk powder in Tung Chung isn’t good enough.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

I read this one just now as well, and the setup with 3 jurisdictions never made any sense to me.

The obvious solution, as hemlock points out as well, would be to have the customs in a triangle format when the bridge separates. That way when driving to Macau you would not need to to china, hence no need for the chinese insurance. You could also do the customs clearance in one building.

But, I find hemlocks hunch a bit too simple even for chinese. Really, just to put simplified characters on the bridge ?

What do you guys think, is there anything more why we have the current setup instead of the rational one ?

After watching the bus crash through the bridge railing on the other thread and into the Yangtze River, not sure I want to be on a crazy-long bus ride on a 54 km bridge...or I need to vet all my fellow passengers to make sure they don't pick a fight with the bus driver.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...complain-about
    “I was there on Sunday morning, and it looked nothing like Hong Kong. There were mainland tourists, and plastic bottles thrown by them everywhere,” Ng recalled.

“Did [tourism authorities] think of Hongkongers’ well-being, public hygiene and transport issues or were they only thinking of making money?”
    Lawmaker Holden Chow Ho-ding said he suspected some of the tours could be illegal as mainland tour guides had to be registered with authorities to bring tour groups into Hong Kong.

“The crowdedness in Tung Chung on Sunday is comparable to Sheung Shui … I will ask the Security Bureau to step up law enforcement to tackle these illegal tours,” he said.

Wow, the mall there (CityGate) was already packed with outlet bargain hunters at the weekend, haven't been since the bridge opened, used to shop there from time to time after ferry to Mui Wo from Peng Chau, then bus to Tung Chung (or ferry to DB, bus to Tung Chung). Was basically my closest Fortress if I needed to haul something back to Peng Chau...

Isn't there only the one hotel there at the mall? I guess people are only doing a day trip...

Don't worry folks. SKYCITY RDE is coming. Something to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Don't worry folks. SKYCITY RDE is coming. Something to look forward to.
    Whats that? An instant ticket to heaven? IF you have enough social credits.

Closed Thread
Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 ... LastLast