Like Tree194Likes

Hong Kong coach crash, 5 dead

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Seagulls!:
    I know I'm digressing here, but the way that driver's treat zebra crossings here is shocking, and equally as bad are the way that pedestrians do. Both clearly don't understand the rules.

Quite often I'll step out onto a crossing that is clear, whilst the locals all wait. Odd.

https://www.td.gov.hk/en/road_safety...ngs/index.html
    Is there always a zigzag line in play?

Quote Originally Posted by Seagulls!:
    I know I'm digressing here, but the way that driver's treat zebra crossings here is shocking, and equally as bad are the way that pedestrians do. Both clearly don't understand the rules.

Quite often I'll step out onto a crossing that is clear, whilst the locals all wait. Odd.
    Probably because the locals half expect a driver to barrel out of nowhere and at full speed and knock them down, as drivers habitually ignore zebra crossing signs or treat them as signs to accelerate.

Now some might call that part of the Hong Kong "social agreement" between drivers and pedestrians, and that the driver is in fact expected to speed up for the convenience of the pedestrians. I just call it drivers being dangerous, inconsiderate tossers.

If pedestrians really is the crossings as they are intended to, they have to be prepared for some near misses and the occasional confrontation with an irate driver.

https://geoexpat.com/forum/91/thread...ml#post3596984
    Last edited by jgl; 04-12-2018 at 11:36 PM.
    TheBrit and shri like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I guess he was willing to work long hours for low pay.

Original Post Deleted
    I don't believe they broke any law. The question was how come this guy was allowed to drive a bus.

He appears to have a license, willing to work long and unsociable hours for very low pay. The company has met the requirements stipulated by the government.

There are many things the government can do such as twea the Driver Improvement Scheme so professional drivers have a lower threshold, mandatory rest time before a shift, maximum 10 hours shifts etc. The government does nothing but thoughts and prayers.

https://www.td.gov.hk/en/road_safety...eme/index.html

It is easy to blame the driver but the outcome looks liked a symptom of a system set up where vested interests come second in the minds of the executive branch

Seat belts too costly for older buses: operators - RTHK

No plans to make seat belts mandatory. Also the government needs to consider the profits of bus operators when setting minimum rest times and maximum shift times

Thoughts and prayers

The EU has quite strict rules. HK 14 hours non-stop with no mandatory rest before starting work seems to be fine.

Last edited by East_coast; 06-12-2018 at 08:20 AM.

Original Post Deleted
    Should and must are very different things. I agree that the company should have an ongoing system to risk assess drivers to determine if they are still suited to the job.

Original Post Deleted
    And their insurance company should be repricing their policy.
    East_coast and TheBrit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    And their insurance company should be repricing their policy.
    The government should print some more licences. It is incompetent to add an extra 45,000 cars on the road each year on average but limit license for new buses to 'reduce pollution and congestion' forcing companies to fudge how they use buses.
    shri, Elegiaque and jgl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    The government should print some more licences. It is incompetent to add an extra 45,000 cars on the road each year on average but limit license for new buses to 'reduce pollution and congestion' forcing companies to fudge how they use buses.
    With you on this one. They should also consider granting more routes to the bus companies. Not looked at this in a while, but public bus companies serving Cyberport, about a decade+ ago, could never get new routes approved. Most of the employees now use private shuttles.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Seat belts too costly for older buses: operators - RTHK

No plans to make seat belts mandatory. Also the government needs to consider the profits of bus operators when setting minimum rest times and maximum shift times

Thoughts and prayers

The EU has quite strict rules. HK 14 hours non-stop with no mandatory rest before starting work seems to be fine.

Why is the HK government so f-ing cheap on things that matter? At a bare minimum it should be mandatory for all new buses and coaches to have seatbelts!

Most operators have asked for belts in new coaches ordered, even though this is not mandatory in Hong Kong yet, Lee said.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast