Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Rob2020
  • 1 Post By BrightSum
  • 3 Post By dynamco
  • 1 Post By BrightSum

I've found a sub-HKD100 red wine that I think is excellent. Any other bargains?

Closed Thread

I've found a sub-HKD100 red wine that I think is excellent. Any other bargains?

I've spent a not-inconsiderable amount of money as I've searched for wine deals in Hong Kong. I have Champagne tastes, but a Champale (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champale) budget.

This is a really pleasant pour:

Piazza del Castello Rosso Toscana | Winerack Hong Kong - Wine, Beer, Cider & Spirits

Easy drinking. Lots of red berry notes (I'm not very good at wine writing: Should I say cassis, pencil shavings, forest floor? I never know what that stuff means). The wine could have fooled me into thinking it was anything up to, say, 3-4x as expensive. I decant and let it sit for three hours as it comes up to room temp from my wine fridge.

Lots of good, reasonably priced wines at WineRack if you enjoy off-the-beaten path bottles. They have a decent, simple Graves that goes HKD160, I think, and will blow the stuff at your local supermarket away. They offer an Australian called "Miamup" that comes in a screwtop, which I like, and is superb at, IIRC, HKD140.

More, I believe--couldn't swear to it, but believe--that I found Wine Rack through an ad on this forum.

Also a great value, though lots more expensive, is Berry Brothers & Rudd's 'Own Label' Pauillac, which is around HKD240. I don't see how I can link to it on the HK site, but https://www.bbr.com/products-42930-2...ch-lynch-bages

This is quite a serious wine that would fool 9/10 experts into thinking it was the offering of a major estate (dare I say Latour? Don't hate me for it). This is to say nothing of BBR's Extraordinary Claret, which is a value around the HKD160 mark.

BBR features excellent service, and I quite like my rep there. If I were richer, I would probably do all my wine shopping there. There is NO reason to buy wine from your supermarket--unless of course, you like to--when BBR offers better prices, curated wine and white-glove service, even to a guy like me with dirt under his fingernails.

Where are the other wine bargains hiding? It seems like there are wine warehouse-type online vendors, who appear to be clustered in Lai Chi Kok, who offer quite striking prices on French wines. I ordered from one outfit there--to the sniffs of my BBR man, who made vague suggestions that the wine wasn't stored right or...something--and the experience was perfectly ok, but I never went back. It was Burgundy from a negociant that I really like, Deux Montille, and tasted like it had been stored perfectly.

Cornmeal likes this.

Thanks, and what's your connection to this wine/distributor/sales model? Making a nice cut per bottle I hope!

HK_Katherine and MandM! like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Thanks, and what's your connection to this wine/distributor/sales model? Making a nice cut per bottle I hope!
    Man, wouldn't that be nice!! No business relationship with either one, but I'd be willing to do truly awful things--just unspeakable--for free DRC.
    Rob2020 likes this.

I used to buy from Winerack and others but they are greedy now
    If you order by the cases as I do ParkNShop online is the best bet
    I can get Merlots and Cab Sav listed at HKD 89 for around HKD 40
    They offer discount for the number of bottles, for the price paid
    I got Hardys Brut sparkling for 50 per bottle
    Mcwilliams Chardonnay and Cabernet Merlot for HKD 31.46
    Santa Rita nice Chilean Sauv Blanc wine for HKD 34.13
    Banrock Station Cab Sav around HKD 35
    They give 15% off for over HKD300
    Over HKD 600 another 5% off
    They have specials Buy 2 save HKD 38
    Buy 3 etc save 109 etc Check their offers of the day
    On an order of HKD 3427 incl free delivery I got HKD 1904 off
    +Stamps

irisboards, shri and rani like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamco:
    I used to buy from Winerack and others but they are greedy now
    If you order by the cases as I do ParkNShop online is the best bet
    I can get Merlots and Cab Sav listed at HKD 89 for around HKD 40
    They offer discount for the number of bottles, for the price paid
    I got Hardys Brut sparkling for 50 per bottle
    Mcwilliams Chardonnay and Cabernet Merlot for HKD 31.46
    Santa Rita nice Chilean Sauv Blanc wine for HKD 34.13
    Banrock Station Cab Sav around HKD 35
    They give 15% off for over HKD300
    Over HKD 600 another 5% off
    They have specials Buy 2 save HKD 38
    Buy 3 etc save 109 etc Check their offers of the day
    On an order of HKD 3427 incl free delivery I got HKD 1904 off
    +Stamps
    TOP TIP(PLE) ALERT!

SA Pinotages are some of my favourites but disappear for long periods. Also miss Italian reds, Chianti tends to be overpriced and haven't seen a Montepulciano d'Abruzzo or Vapolicella (well at least at the super and I don't wanna pay $180-$250 at the wine shop).

But I love the deals they have at the supermarkets here sometimes. 1/$149 2/$148, got a decent Bordeaux.

Expensive Wine Is for Dupes: Scientific Study Finds No Strong Correlation Between Quality & Price | Open Culture