Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By huja

Fascinating Read for China watchers

Closed Thread

Fascinating Read for China watchers

https://www.economist.com/finance-an...esfreeexchange

Huh. Bit a steep comparison, China vs USSR. I wonder if Japan wouldn't be a better example. I remember how in the 1990s Michael Crichton's Nippon Connection was the standard economic opinion in form of a novel - Japan would soon be the hegemonial power, retiring yesteryears western civilisations. Looks laughable from today's perspective. Yet, it seems to me that China has copied Japans approach exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Huh. Bit a steep comparison, China vs USSR. I wonder if Japan wouldn't be a better example. I remember how in the 1990s Michael Crichton's Nippon Connection was the standard economic opinion in form of a novel - Japan would soon be the hegemonial power, retiring yesteryears western civilisations. Looks laughable from today's perspective. Yet, it seems to me that China has copied Japans approach exactly.
    I agree the comparison is a stretch however, the core idea that there are economic (societal, political, etc) issues that are hidden from plain view and are threats to China's long-term growth (or even stability) is sound.

Also, Japan got rich before it got old (with respect to its population). China is going to get old before it gets rich (with respect to per capital GDP).
    biffski likes this.