Like Tree118Likes

HK Schools: National Anthem Law

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

As I said, this is a knee jerk reaction because China continues to encroach on HK and trying to slowly integrate it into the mainland. You are just making up unlikely scenarios to make it seem way worse than it is with little evidence to back it up except the usual China is bad line.

I mean you go from a school asks a student to stop doing something that they don't like(happens all over the world) that furthermore didn't even appear to face any consequences whatsoever and leap to they'll get students arrested because of the anthem law and you link that to one high profile star getting in trouble in China for misusing the anthem(again something that could happen in a western democracy) and link that to proclaim doom and gloom for HK. That's simply disingenuous and ridiculous.

Last edited by Golem; 13-01-2019 at 01:06 PM.

A dictatorship issue... Let's see in the US, football players were kneeling during the anthem and a lot of people including the president didn't like it and felt it was disrespectful. It wasn't convenient to use a law but political pressure was applied and the forced the league to take actions and fine people that are doing it... Land of freedom, first amendment and all.

I imagine the leadership in China doesn't like the booing of the anthem in HK and they are trying to take measures to remedy the situation. That doesn't mean tanks will be rolling in the streets and people will be rounded up. But because it's China and every little thing they do to integrate HK is bad, doomsday scenarios are brought forward. Nothing new, it's been happening for decades yet in all that time, there has been no huge crackdown, no massive arrests even with the protests a few years back or the booing. All that you can find is isolated incidents and a general trend of interference in HK affairs. That's it. Nothing really unexpected under the circumstances and no recent exodus of residents which goes hand in hand with the expectations. Fine, you don't like it, I don't particularly like it either and I won't be learning it anytime soon, that's fair enough but let's keep it real.

civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    And I would argue that you take isolated incidents barely related trying to link them to suit your narrative.
    Perhaps

Would the law in HK be used if there were high profile people slandering the anthem? Probably, just like in many other countries.
    Aren't most developed societies rolling back nationalistic laws?

Will kids be harassed in schools?
    They were over other issues so why not this one?

Taking the leap to say that they would put a kid in jail for it is as I said ridiculous.
    Isn't the point that kids now must fear the government rather than respect it?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:

Aren't most developed societies rolling back nationalistic laws?

They were over other issues so why not this one?

Isn't the point that kids now must fear the government rather than respect it?
    1) https://www.ft.com/content/59a37a38-...7-1e1a0846c475

2) When were kids harassed by government and why would they fear it any more than a year or a decade ago? Neither the police nor the teachers nor the school administrators are China's agents. They are HK people just like them. They were allowed to demonstrate a few years ago and once again, it was done mostly peacefully with no major repercussions.

Your example of a student handing out pamphlet being asked to stop by school admin could happen anywhere. It is frequent that schools would ask student to stop doing something they feel is not appropriate if near or on school property and wearing uniforms. It's not clear whether students were in school uniform and how close they were from the school. In my opinion, it's not appropriate for students to try to promote a political cause on campus and wearing school uniform. In any case, as far as I know, the police did not stop any of them, they simply recorded their names and there were no reported consequences, no suspensions or expulsion, nothing. We're a far cry away from tanks in the streets and people in jail.

Your example of a student handing out pamphlet being asked to stop by school admin could happen anywhere.
    Please give examples of students stopped from legally campaigning in a non-violent, non-inciting way for their political views.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Please give examples of students stopped from legally campaigning in a non-violent, non-inciting way for their political views.
    Here's an example of a court in Canada which banned a group from distributing pamphlets on the street. Perhaps you'll agre with this one because it suits your values? Schools everywhere will ask students not to do things that don't represent the school values particularly if they are wearing school uniforms and/or are near the campus. It could be anything from hairstyle to smoking/drinking, acting out, religious propaganda etc... Once again, you continue to ignore the fact that NOTHING has happened to those kids in terms of consequence yet you are happy to leap to make the great leap forward to arrests. You seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that most schools/teachers and administrators CARE about the students they have and calling the police is always a last resort for very serious offences. You act as if schools in HK are infiltrated and run by China's agents.
    https://www.toronto.com/news-story/7519663-court-order-sought-to-stop-graphic-anti-abortion-imagery-in-toronto/

Original Post Deleted
    I am no more worried there than I am when I traveled to places Mexico, Colombia, Soudan where fearmongering is also a big thing. I am far more relaxed in China than I am on the NY subway at night...

What most of you are doing is equivalent to saying things like: Hey, China crushed student protests in the streets so it's just a matter of time before tanks roll in HK.
    Last edited by Golem; 13-01-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Here's an example of a court in Canada which banned a group from distributing pamphlets on the street. Perhaps you'll agre with this one because it suits your values? Schools everywhere will ask students not to do things that don't represent the school values particularly if they are wearing school uniforms and/or are near the campus. It could be anything from hairstyle to smoking/drinking, acting out, religious propaganda etc... Once again, you continue to ignore the fact that NOTHING has happened to those kids in terms of consequence yet you are happy to leap to make the great leap forward to arrests. You seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that most schools/teachers and administrators CARE about the students they have and calling the police is always a last resort for very serious offences. You act as if schools in HK are infiltrated and run by China's agents.
    https://www.toronto.com/news-story/7519663-court-order-sought-to-stop-graphic-anti-abortion-imagery-in-toronto/
    Not really that similar is it? This was a question of decency - the use of graphic images that could upset certain segments in society. Not about stopping the message.

Anymore?

Original Post Deleted

And no doubt, we are all being watched and monitored on this site. Be afraid, very afraid. One day there will be a knock on your door at night....

<removed annoying emoticons>

And no doubt, we are all being watched and monitored on this site. Be afraid, very afraid. One day there will be a knock on your door at night....
    What, in Tokyo?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast