Like Tree20Likes

Decent headphones with mic for commuting?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Decent headphones with mic for commuting?

Also what decent headphones to get with a mic?

I note a lot of people use the iphone ear pods (or whatever they are called) and it seems they have good functionality but I don't have an iphone.

Mod note: move from https://geoexpat.com/forum/26/thread351566.html

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Also what decent headphones to get with a mic?
    What’s your budget?
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy:
    What’s your budget?
    As I will be using them regularly budget is flexible.

Am also debating whether to get cans (like bose quietconfort style).

Have owned cans before... and ended up only using them in the winter months as I find them uncomfortable after a while (and too sweaty in the summer months).

pin likes this.

what phone do you have? in ears type/IEM or on your ears or full size overears type? wireless or wired or all the rage -truly wireless do you need digital noise cancelling? all have advantages? are you interested in high resolution audio/high bitrate wireless audio? or the ultimate audiophile choice?

pin likes this.

I have the Sony WH-1000X2, they are pricey at around $3000 when they were new but totally worth it IMHO. Great sound, support high res sound via Bluetooth with LDAC and aptX, nfc pairing, active noise cancelling etc. Probably a but overkill for audiobooks on the MTR though.

imparanoic and civil_servant like this.

The better the headphones/earbuds/ipods are, the louder the speaker tends to get. I am so over having to listen to one-sided conversations on public transport (for me mainly the DB ferry and it can be the entire journey).

Sorry to interrupt, back to finding the best 'personal' listening accessories. Just please, think of everyone around you when using them.

pin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    The better the headphones/earbuds/ipods are, the louder the speaker tends to get. I am so over having to listen to one-sided conversations on public transport (for me mainly the DB ferry and it can be the entire journey).
    I think that's more likely a problem when people are using inadequate gear that doesn't block out external noise well enough.

The user ends up boosting the volume up higher and higher to swamp background noise, and ends up shouting into his microphone as a result.
    Fiona in HKG and imparanoic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:

Sorry to interrupt, back to finding the best 'personal' listening accessories. Just please, think of everyone around you when using them.
    that's incorrect, nothing to do with loudness, what it can be said that the more expensive IEM/in ear headphones has better noise isolation or full size headphones with noise cancellation meaning that the quiet and most subtle sound can be heard at reasonable volume (without ruining your ears) while some lower price earphones can leak extenal noise which ruins your hearing experience due the design of the earphones

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I think that's more likely a problem when people are using inadequate gear that doesn't block out external noise well enough.

The user ends up boosting the volume up higher and higher to swamp background noise, and ends up shouting into his microphone as a result.
    Thanks, makes sense. I've seen a couple with those 'ear cups' as I call them participating in loud conversations, I thought those mostly seal in a quiet hearing space?

Overheard such a bizarre conversation last night at a bus stop where this guy was basically telling the caller he knew they weren't the person they were pretending to be and he knew her because she has a distinctive voice and they had met at a hospital..... then he moved out of range hahahahahah The one time i wanted to listen

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast