Like Tree90Likes

Brexit: EU preparing to delay

Closed Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I do love all these posts on Magnum ice creams, a much needed distraction from important things like medicines or the Irish border
    My favorite so far has been

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...lapse-business

An old one but all doom laden stories should be taken with a pinch of salt. No doubt a no deal Brexit will result in short term pain and some disruption.

Original Post Deleted
    Prominent Pro-Remainer Gina Miller's view of the current backstop proposal. I would add it breaking the spirit of the Good Friday Agreement imposing unnecessary differences between Northern Ireland and it's biggest trading partner the rest of the UK

https://youtu.be/c8ujLiXswb0?t=1572

Unfortunately Mrs May still is unable to demonstrate a vision of the future that she would like to see,

Civil servants are people with integrity. Thanks for that @drumbrake.

Corbyn now rated as worse than Foot.

Both UK parties are in a shambles. When will the EU give ground?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:

Corbyn now rated as worse than Foot.

Both UK parties are in a shambles. When will the EU give ground?
    First they need to know what ground to give. What does the UK parliament want? Anyone know?

First they need to know what ground to give. What does the UK parliament want? Anyone know?
    No I don't think so. It is a representative democracy and the issue us beyond the control of the whips.

No I don't think so. It is a representative democracy and the issue us beyond the control of the whips.
    A representative democracy should still be able to come up with a position. How do you negotiate when one side doesn't know what it wants?

6 or 7 weeks and the clock keeps ticking.
    East_coast likes this.

A representative democracy should still be able to come up with a position. How do you negotiate when one side doesn't know what it wants?

6 or 7 weeks and the clock keeps ticking.
    I would suggest the executive branch should come up with a vision of what they want and see if it has backing. Even informally it was clear the last deal from the EU was a non-starter. The backstop really is a terrible proposition as is giving all the cah before negotiating trade terms.

I believe Mrs May's strategy has been to try to find the least offensive proposal to all and run the clock down hoping parliament would vote for. Labour are now only just sort of saying what they want bit I am still not clear that but with no clarity just vague concepts that look more like an attempt to destabilise the conservatives than be constructive suggestions.

Perhaps Mrs May should invite the leaders of the EU to address parliament rather than flapping around Europe trying to appease everyone....
    dengxi likes this.

I would suggest the executive branch should come up with a vision of what they want and see if it has backing. Even informally it was clear the last deal from the EU was a non-starter. The backstop really is a terrible proposition as is giving all the cah before negotiating trade terms.

I believe Mrs May's strategy has been to try to find the least offensive proposal to all and run the clock down hoping parliament would vote for. Labour are now only just sort of saying what they want bit I am still not clear that but with no clarity just vague concepts that look more like an attempt to destabilise the conservatives than be constructive suggestions.

Perhaps Mrs May should invite the leaders of the EU to address parliament rather than flapping around Europe trying to appease everyone....
    And the executive branch don't know what they want . I am beyond despair at what a dysfunctional balls up it all is. It might have been better with a UKIP government, at least there would be some sort of vision! (and no I don't really think that).
    East_coast likes this.