Like Tree25Likes

Good residential complexes in Tuen Mun

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thank you everyone, the replies are really helpful. Looks like Tuen Mun is ruled out due to daily commute to CWB.

jrkob likes this.

Tuen Mun is a GHETTO, too many gangsta's living there like HK_Katherine and JKRob (night racer with loud exhaust) causing noise pollution LOL

jrkob and civil_servant like this.

I used to live on Lamma Island and would recommend considering it. The ferry is 25 minutes to central and then you're not far from CWB. A relaxed place with nice beaches and about 50/50 expats/locals, and cheap housing. My daughter went to the local kindergarten there and loved it. (Although "local", English was the dominant language and about half the students were non-Chinese)

Subrat likes this.

Thanks @justjoe86 I'm looking that up. Any particular housing complexes you would recommend ?

Quote Originally Posted by Subrat:
    Thanks @justjoe86 I'm looking that up. Any particular housing complexes you would recommend ?
    Outlying islands, or at least Lamma, won't have "housing complexes" normally. They will have village houses, which are a standard 700 sq/ft per floor and 3 stories. You will find options to rent just one floor; or 2 floors combined into a single apartment; or even you can rent the whole house. But there are some variations and sometimes small mini-developments.

I found this website that can give you some ideas: Home
    Here's another example (I think the rent price is on the higher end, I suspect this flat could be let out for as "little" as 14k): https://www.28hse.com/en/rent-property-481659.html

Discovery Bay and Ma Wan (Park Island) are exceptions and they were built by big developers and have complexes and high-rises.

Would be good if you could get a serviced apartment for at least a month and spend time going to potential places and finding local agents there and visiting lots of flats to get a feel for communities and what's available. I suggest visiting a place you think you'll take at different times of the day/night (the agent is getting a hell of a lot of money, so yes they can and should do this for you!), especially in villages or an island, as there can be quite a difference of sound-scape with dogs and frogs coming to life.

Any of the island locations would mean a 25-35 minute ferry commute, and then from Central Ferry Pier to CWB it's a fairly easy commute (20-30 mins. depending on time of day and means). Depending on where your office is, you can even walk to CWB via Tamar Park. I find a commute in the morning is relaxed, either walking or with the 780 buses, but getting back to the pier for the evening commute home stressful as there's a clear "deadline" to make it to the time of the ferry but the city is very busy at that time.

Note: there are some buses directly at the pier you can take in the morning directly to CWB. But if you plan to take the MTR it is a 10-12 minute walk along a footbridge between the ferry pier to the actual MTR trains. Buses coming back CWB --> Central would have major traffic issues and don't flow as well.

(sorry, complete fail at being terse...)
    Last edited by Elegiaque; 15-02-2019 at 07:40 PM.
    monomono likes this.

Thanks @jkrob I read through this blog some days back. It's a mixed bag. I think the best would be to come over and figure kindergartens. My company will provide a service apartment for 1 month to find accommodation. From my research and forum feedback, I'm more inclined on Tseung Kwan O and Hung Hom.

East_coast and MABinPengChau like this.

Definitely visit Hung Hom if you plan to look there. parts of it are horrible.

Yes, sort the school- because kids start kindergarten as young as 2 making it harder coming in at age 4. So when you find the kindergarten place (people move, places do open up) that will probably be the deciding factor on your housing.