Like Tree119Likes

Debt - Trouble in paradise

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    They are adults, they can sort it out.
    This is the correct answer.

Bailing them out now will be disastrous down the line. Don't think you are helping your grandchild too. You are enabling your son, and his wife, to continue to be irresponsible little brats.

The only good thing is at least you will be kept busy into retirement. Good luck.
    emx likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:

Bailing them out now will be disastrous down the line. Don't think you are helping your grandchild too. You are enabling your son, and his wife, to continue to be irresponsible little brats.

The only good thing is at least you will be kept busy into retirement. Good luck.
    How old are your kids?
    TheBrit, jrkob, tf19 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @Dad - Then there should not be a problem with him approaching the police for help, if he is being threatened or detained illegally, assuming rest of the situation is legit and there are no serious crimes which he might have to confess to, to get help.
    Thank you.
    I will encourage him via his wife to go to the police. I had read other threads about unlawful debt collectors actions not being tolerated anymore, but wasn’t sure if what was described to me
    (and now you all), was legal in HK.
    I have heard today that a photographer turned up today to photo the goods. So, that’s news, the seizure hasn’t actually occurred which is different to what I had been told. Probably makes no difference though, anything worth anything will go.
    Maybe after that, the next steps will become clearer.

Are you sure your son is being held, or is this a case of the bailiff posting a security guard to ensure that contents are not removed?

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:

I dont disagree with the intended sentiment here. I have stated, I am looking to understand the type of actions that may occure with such a scenario in HK so I can give sound advice if I am asked. I am trying to do some homework in preparation for what may come.
    I have no intention of just sending money. That would be enabling.
    No, there are lessons to be learned and no doubt hard roads to travel but hopefully also some valuable life experience.
    shri, tf19, MABinPengChau and 3 others like this.

One way of dealing with the situation would be to whine on an online forum. That is unlikely to resolve matters.

Alternatively, if court action has taken place and orders have been obtained, you should obtain legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Are you sure your son is being held, or is this a case of the bailiff posting a security guard to ensure that contents are not removed?
    Late today I have learned that he is free to go to the shops to get food. I guess he is not actually being "held" so I am unsure what he means by "under guard" which he said is an extra expence he will have to meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    One way of dealing with the situation would be to whine on an online forum. That is unlikely to resolve matters.

Alternatively, if court action has taken place and orders have been obtained, you should obtain legal advice.
    I haven't seen any whining, just someone seeking advice. I have seen some nasty people crawling out from wherever they normally hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:

I guess there are some who can add valuable information and some who can not. Not sure who is "Whining"
    Fiona in HKG and chuckster007 like this.

If he is about to get evicted or is planning to leave anyway, ditch the furniture and such, pain in the neck to get rid of before you move anyway.

I would laugh if a debt collector felt he could get anything on my all-Ikea interior...even nice used furniture hardly fetches anything, definitely just a scare tactic.

Lot of block chain hype in HK, my partner files about one patent application a week on block chain I would say.

Sounds like it's time to go home, at least for a bit, and regroup. Can always decide to come back to HK in a new position. I hope he's not too proud to consider it and accept your help.

You sound like a great dad trying to help out your son and his family, wish you the best of luck.

shri, Elegiaque, Andy SNK and 4 others like this.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast