Like Tree119Likes

Debt - Trouble in paradise

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    He hasnt asked for help and knows that he can. Until he does, I'll be learning what I can about the situation and be ready to do whatever needs to be done, which may be nothing at all.
    All I can do right now is what I am doing, talking to people who have more experience in HK than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad:
    thanks. My understanding is he can’t pay his rent and is already behind. Sooner or later I would think, he will be evicted. Then, what happens? What does the guard do?
    That my son won’t ask for help, I kind of understand. But where does inaction lead?
    Having briefly spent time dealing with defaulting borrowers while working for a (legit) finance company (albeit a long time ago), in my experience inaction just results in a deeper hole.

If your son can't pay the rent, the best course of action is to give the landlord notice (if the lease is in a notice period) or try and negotiate an early termination (if it's not in a notice period). If he just stops paying, he'll lose his deposit and likely end up with another debt to pay off and and when he gets back on his feet. if he doesn't have anywhere to stay in HK, then return flight home sounds like it might be an option.

If court proceedings become an issue, here is a link with legal aid eligibility requirements: https://www.lad.gov.hk/eng/las/civil/olas.html
    Whether legal aid is available will (obviously) depend on exactly what the proceedings are about.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    Having briefly spent time dealing with defaulting borrowers while working for a (legit) finance company (albeit a long time ago), in my experience inaction just results in a deeper hole.

If your son can't pay the rent, the best course of action is to give the landlord notice (if the lease is in a notice period) or try and negotiate an early termination (if it's not in a notice period). If he just stops paying, he'll lose his deposit and likely end up with another debt to pay off and and when he gets back on his feet. if he doesn't have anywhere to stay in HK, then return flight home sounds like it might be an option.

If court proceedings become an issue, here is a link with legal aid eligibility requirements: https://www.lad.gov.hk/eng/las/civil/olas.html
    Whether legal aid is available will (obviously) depend on exactly what the proceedings are about.
    Thank you for your insight and the link.

Try the Australian Consulate

I suggest that your son visit the Australian consulate in WanChai. The assistance they can provide is a list of reputable lawyers in Hong Kong. Also, they may be able to offer some advice...or not, but no harm trying. By the way, if your son has a tax debt, he may be prevented from departing Hong Kong. It is possible that this may be another of his "fears".

No advice since this is a very unfamiliar situation to me. Just wanted to say you seem like a good dad trying his best to be prudent with a tough situation with a lot of uncertainty and poor information. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mesmerizer:
    I suggest that your son visit the Australian consulate in WanChai. The assistance they can provide is a list of reputable lawyers in Hong Kong. Also, they may be able to offer some advice...or not, but no harm trying. By the way, if your son has a tax debt, he may be prevented from departing Hong Kong. It is possible that this may be another of his "fears".
    Thank you. I have passed on this and everything else I have gleaned from the feedback received.

Quote Originally Posted by tck:
    No advice since this is a very unfamiliar situation to me. Just wanted to say you seem like a good dad trying his best to be prudent with a tough situation with a lot of uncertainty and poor information. Good luck.
    I appreciate yours and others words of support.
    thank you

Late today I have learned that he is free to go to the shops to get food. I guess he is not actually being "held" so I am unsure what he means by "under guard" which he said is an extra expence he will have to meet.
    What was the conclusion to this episode?
    TheBrit and Bartholomeuw like this.

Thanks for asking.....
    I came to HK, helped gather my sons belongings and sorted frieght back to Australia.
    Got his wife into a mental health clinic after a diagnosis of post natal depression.
    Got him onto a mental health programe.
    Leaned that he had been diagnosed with Adult ADHD some years ago but that was not shared with his Mum and me.
    Apparently ADHD drugs are not available in HK which led to self medicating on other (prescription in Australia) but, over the counter drugs in HK .
    Over medicating left him often in an almost zombie like state, unable to work or pretty much do anything productive. He didnt recognise this in himself. His life just fell apart.
    Although recovering now, back on the meds, he struggles with acute axiety so will take a bit of work to rebuild himself.
    We'll get there.

Got his wife into a mental health clinic after a diagnosis of post natal depression.
    My mrs suffered from that as well and it nearly broke our marriage apart, even though she works in a hospital herself she didnt see that she had a problem, it took a while for her to be persuaded to see a doctor and to get medication.

It must have been really tough for both of them, one with Adult ADHD and one with Post Natal Depression.

Thank FOOK (excuse the swearing) they both made it out alive and no harm came to the kid, it could have been a very different story. Phew. The helper was really great in looking after the whole family. Hope she managed to get a new employer.

Best of luck to you all.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast